RSA exploration has started (April/May 2013)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LYCAN

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So, I love South Africa and want to first explore it before going over the borders. Seeing that my ride last year end just after I started it, I want to make sure that I finish this one.

My aim is to explore a large part of what is on offer in South Africa over the next few years, starting with this ride. This ride will just be for me to see some of the areas in South Africa that are lying in wait for me to explore further. I also have this itch that needs scratching, namely, a long challenging ride.

Planned route distance is clocked (via google maps) at 4500km, and I will be doing it (or at least trying to) over 10days, one will see my bike being serviced as well while stopping over in Pretoria.

Leave is booked for 2 weeks starting on 24 April, this day will see me sleeping a bit from the previous night's duty that is booked already. The 25 April will be the start of the wheels turning.

The idea is to go through all 9 provinces, however short it might be. And to also stop off at an old friend in Worcester. The map shows where I am planning on staying over each night, and will try to take in some touristy things as well.

The distances average around 500km per day, least being 350km and most being 780km. All of this will be done on tar, for a couple of reasons. 1) doing it solo, 2) bike packed for camping, and thus heavy, 3) long distances and want to spend time browsing as well, 4) I am a pansy and don't want to risk cutting the trip short due to an unlucky fall. Normal road risks acceptable

The long term plan is to explore each province properly as time goes by, for now I just want to see a bit more of the country and experience the different riding conditions across the country

Planning on camping mostly, like the quiet that comes with that. definite site are Golden Gate, Gariep, Augrabies, and Knysna. Worcester and Pretoria will be visiting stops at friend and family, respectfully.

Really excited, can't wait for the next three weeks to pass by

Attachments

• april - may 2013.jpg
    april - may 2013.jpg
    127.4 KB