Run starting a 800GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worsie

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hi all

Is it possible to run start a 800gs? I only bought my bike recently, but it is an Oct 2012 model (so two and a half years old). First of the facelift models.

I suspect the battery is on the way out. A few days ago it started behaving funny. When you press the starter there's a moment of hesitation before it starts. One one or two occasions the memory averages (fuel consumption, etc) reset, but not the trip meters. One time the trip meters also reset.

I took out the battery and charged it with my Benton smart charger and it showed the battery as full. This morning it had the moment of hesitation again and the averages reset. Also, just after starting the needles did their wiper impression for a second time.

I dont want to replace the battery unneccesarily, but dont want to get stuck at work either. (I commute to town every day). If the battery does not want to cooperate, will you be able to run start it? (Only to get home of course).

What say the old and clever dogs?