the dreaded not starting when cold 1190 R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpleton

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi All

Need help, My bike 2013 1190 R has now got 55000 km on the clock,

We did a trip about 2 months ago and the bike would not start when it was cold on 2 mornings, before this I never had any problems with starting.

The bike had the old slow starter in it, I have since upgraded the starter to the stronger unit (what a mission) with the bike in my garage and connected to a battery charger all the time it starts first time every time,

So we went on a trip last weekend and it would not start again first thing, once it has started once it starts every time till you let it get cold, what we did find if you crack the throttle slightly it will start but not easily and will idle very rough for about 10 seconds and then settle down,

There is no evedace of dust in the air box at all,

Could this be a sign that the valves need doing or an indication of fuel pump failing.

The battery does drop down to just on 10 volts when trying to start, however even if I connect it to a car with jumpers it makes no difference,

If it will not start and we tow start it, it starts up immediately and runs perfectly without any effort,

So manne in the know, what could it be.