Serious head shake... no steering dampener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boertjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I just did the ride from Durban to Cape Town and tried to do a fair amount of dirt. Outside Klipplaat, doing about 110 on reasonable dirt, I got to a real bad patch... with severe corrugations and lots of loose stuff. My common sense (basic training) says stand up, look up and open up... legs and little bit of throttle. The Vara got some serious head shakes... on a few occasions actually in similar situations. Steering violently shaking from side to side at uncontrollable frequency and amplitude. At least once I thought I lost it and was going down. Somehow I managed to get out of it without falling my arse off.

Why does this happen (too much throttle, too little throttle, rider shaking, technical problem with bike/steering system...) and what is the recommended way to handle this (more gaz, less gaz, grip and hang on, sit down...)? Ok... I got the part that says: Get a steering damping device. Any other advice for us sods that do not have steering dampening?