Service intervals? (for Volvo S40)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karoo Rider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
I need some advice please on the service intervals on the wife’s 2009 Volvo S40 2.0 Automatic, or service intervals in general, for that matter.  The car had its 100,000km service a year ago at the Volvo agents in George (Kempston Motors), and since the service intervals are once a year or every 20,000km (whichever comes first), it’s now due for its annual service, even though we’ve only driven ±8,000km since.  The warranty expired on 100,000km, if that counts anything.

Service costs aside, I feel that after only 8,000km it can’t be in need of a service again when it could’ve done 20,000km, yet I know that since we mostly drive daily short distances one can’t hold on until it eventually reaches another 20,000km.  A colleague suggests going another 6 months perhaps, theoretically it should then have done 12,000km since its previous service, finding a kind of compromise between the “time vs. kilometers” issue?  What say the Dogs?  Also not sure how this will affect its resale value one day, if at all? 

On the topic of pricing, at the previous service (100k) they said that this service would cost ±R2400, which sounded very reasonable to me at the time.  Now they suddenly quote ±R4600 (in George).  Feeling that it’s a bit high I called Volvo in Cape Town, they quote ±R6050 for the same service.  So when needed I’ll be back at George, but still it’s a day’s leave from work, etc. since we live in Ladismith, a round trip of 320km away.  Another option would be to have a local workshop just do a oil and filter change at this stage (perhaps R1000?), and let Volvo handle the “bigger” services every 20,000km? 

Your opinions welcome please. :deal:

Latest posts