Severe Weather Warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Race Dog
Reaction score
So Sparky was bikeless for a few weeks and I really needed some excitement. When he heard that he’s getting his bike back we knew there was a ride happening.

The newspapers kept bitching about this “storm” we were getting, and that suited us fine thanks. Nothing like a bit of weather to spice up a gravel highway now is there???

I did the alternative route with XT660/Andy a few weeks back and could vaguely remember where to turn-off (Droëvlei, that farm with the MOERSE vlei) and had an idea of the route. Last time it was a combination of fog and dust (that = mud on your visor), this time dust wouldn’t be a problem...

Saturday morning I look out the kitchen window and see this:
dscf0063.jpg

Nice, Mother Nature’s is delivering on the promise

We dress up and Sparky looks like a British Health and Safety Drone and I look like something from a HazMat team:
img0321.jpg

4km’s from home and we see this:
dscf0066m.jpg

It’s going to be a lekker day.

2 km’s further we get this:
dscf0067l.jpg

At least we can do this again:
dscf0069y.jpg

dscf0075.jpg

We took the tar to the turnoff and started the gravel road.

There was some wind (dis 'n windkous daai)
dscf0078.jpg

And some rain
dscf00801.jpg

A few km’s down the road we had a first: there was a 160km Mountainbike race that morning, and we shared some of the same route. Their skinny tires in the muddy road made lots of tracks forcing the front wheel all over. I can just marvel at the dedication of somebody pedalling a bicycle in that rain and wind.

Our first smoke break was just after Kalbaskraal next to the railwayline.
dscf0083.jpg

dscf0084.jpg

We even had a bit of blue sky.
Proof: 
dscf0090.jpg

The road next to the railway line was quite flooded and we had to go through the driffies in 1st and 2nd gear. I went through a few puddles (mini lakes are more like it) too fast and the KLR started losing power just after one of the crossings. I opened the throttle and the revs wouldn’t pick up. Water must have gotten to the electronics, because once we started taking it slower through the water there were no more problems.
dscf0094.jpg

dscf0099w.jpg

The water was never deeper than the front mudguard, you just couldn't go through at speed.

That’s the way we are heading
dscf0101u.jpg

The obligatory Alternative Route jump pic

Sparky:
dscf0108w.jpg

Me:
dscf0111b.jpg

Sparky can’t take pictures for shit, but he can handle that TTR quite well. I jumped further than jabu69 could ever jump PROMISE ;-)

In Darling we stopped for some refreshments
dscf0114.jpg

VIP parking included
dscf0116.jpg

This place is next to the Spar. Best breakfast I had in a long time. Well worth a stop. They don’t use your normal supermarket bacon & eggs (almal dubbeldoor). Very Tasty.

From here we didn’t take any photos. Took the tar towards Atlantis and followed the first big power lines we got. Very nice sand 2 spoor with the wind behind us going in the direction of Koeberg. Just before Melkbos somewhere we cut over to the N7 and past the quarry.

What severe weather?

Cool pics, I always forget about the darn camera >:D  Looks like a lekker ride :thumleft:

Jinne, ja nee, I would have stayed in bed too! :) Respect dudes! :thumleft:

Lekker morsig. Julle is beslis nie mooiweersvriende nie  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good report,missed a lekker ride.But the alternate route to Piketberg is my next ride,all that water and mud, yum

Smithey said:
Dedication.... i would have stayed in bed  :thumleft:  Nice RR

I DID stay in bed!
Kudos to you okes for getting out there to ride.
Felt like the storm of the century to me!

Nice report. The "stay in bed" option would have been my choice ;D

XT660R said:
Good report,missed a lekker ride.But the alternate route to Piketberg is my next ride,all that water and mud, yum

Amen brother - will keep my weekend open for this one!

Latest posts