Short Amageza practice run (video added on page 4)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Seeing that Alex Rambo has suggested we keep the practice runs up a bit before the Amageza, I organized a short practice run in the Cederberg. Rynet, Legadema and I needed the practice, and I got a few "volunteers" to come along for the ride. Remy, Monkeyboy and Deon came along for the company, and to see what all the fuss is about.

We slept over at Oasis on Friday night, for an early start on Saturday. One of us apparently did not get enough sleep, due to a truck full of quite pretty dutch students sharing Oasis with us.  :pot:

The route was Oasis, Eselsbank, Wupperthal, Biedouw, Old postal over the mountains, Kobus se gat, R355, Doring river, Biedouw, Wupperthal, Eselsbank, Oasis. 276kms Of reasonably technical riding. Lots of rocks, ball bearing gravel and loose sand sections.

The riding was tough, but not too bad. Everybody rode above my expectations, except for Bob, who had to hold back all day long, and had a good off in the Doring river  (Ek dog dan Oom kan nie val nie! :pot:)

Paul, Remy, and Deon (first time on gravel) you guys did seriously well for relative "newbs" to this kind of riding with big bikes. Rynet, I did not expect a girl to make me look like a beginner on this route  :thumleft: Oom Bob, you are in a different class.  :ricky:

Pics and video to follow. Just have some patience with the vid. I have 9 hours to edit back to 5 to 10 mins.  :eek7:

Route in Garmin format attached.

Attachments

• Old postal and doring river via Oasis.gdb
    50 KB
K eks seker nie n newb nie ma ry sulke grond paaie met so groot fiets van laas jaar julie af :ricky:

Remy said:
K eks seker nie n newb nie ma ry sulke grond paaie met so groot fiets van laas jaar julie af :ricky:

O, so jy hou die waarheid so bietjie terug? Nee, nie n newb soos in NEWB nie. Net so bietjie nuut met die 800 in die rowwe goed wat ons Saterdag gery het.

Ek was ook n Newb Saterdag. Dit was vir my nuut om deur n lady rider in die stof gelos te word!  :biggrin:

AntonW said:
How long did it take for the ride?

Nice route to train on.

Took 10 hours. It was the first practice run, so we were careful not to break ourselves or the bikes and took enough time at the stops. Had a puncture issue and some people went missing as well once or twice. Some with a GPS.  :pot:

If you cut the stops short, and have no incidents, should take about 6 to 7 hours. 3L water and 1 liter energy drink was not enough. Make sure you take tubes for the tubeless tyres in case of bad sidewall pinches (rock punctured sidewall in two spots about 15mm above each other, and puncture ropes kept coming out. Had to put 3 into the upper hole to get back to Oasis). And you will need some fuel at Oasis and maybe some on the "loop" as well, depending on your range.

Pleco said:
Remy said:

O, so jy hou die waarheid so bietjie terug? Nee, nie n newb soos in NEWB nie. Net so bietjie nuut met die 800 in die rowwe goed wat ons Saterdag gery het.

Ek was ook n Newb Saterdag. Dit was vir my nuut om deur n lady rider in die stof gelos te word!  :biggrin:

Hahahaha kan seker nie my ACE uit die mou glip nie  :p wat van as ek nou in dai rivier omgeval het of moes "PADDLE" :deal: soos sekere KTM/KLR fietse  :peepwall: ek ry sulke paaie nou ma 7 maande so ek doen seker ma goed as mense dink eks nie so nuwb nie  :3some:

Dankie aan die volgende:
Lukas dit was n moerse lekke trip ekt dit baie geniet  :biggrin:
Oom Bob wat maak dat ek myself bietjie druk en maak dat ek ry soos ek kan/moet  :eek7:
Rynette vir geseligheid en die grapies  :imaposer:
Deon & Paul vir die lekke saamry en geselskap  :thumleft:
Oasis vir lekke steaks eye candy en rustige slaap plek  :3some:

Dai roete is vantasies  :3some:

Awesome ride, Pleco, thanks again for organising. I did feel less of a newb by the time we were done. Now just to work on speed;even though the Amageza "is not a race" (Andrew!), i could do with riding faster. It seems my bike wants me to be a riding god. Seriaaas respekt to Renette, Remy and Deon in particular: great riding from everyone.

I got some photos (no eye-candy, unfortunately), but can't post them. "too large". I'm so tired of hearing that.

Download and install image resizer from windows power tools. Then resize as needed 800x600 is best. Otherwise dropbox. Use public folder and post image links. Just remember to not delete or move the images afterwards.  :deal:

got a little preview of the video footage... looked like an awesome trip with a great bunch of people, so bleek i missed out, maybe next time!

Good one guys and gal!  :thumleft:

monkeyboy said:
I got some photos (no eye-candy, unfortunately), but can't post them. "too large". I'm so tired of hearing that.

Edit picture in paint stretch/resize to 25% and save it makes the pics smaller and postable  :thumleft:

Some randon pics taken from the video. Sorry, the lens got quite dusty, as I was at the back. (Not because I ride a KLR!  :deal:)

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h21m13s140.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h22m44s11.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h23m04s218.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h23m27s216.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h24m27s31.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h25m50s68.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h27m10s133.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h29m03s217.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h31m14s20.jpg

That infamous Eselsbank sand patch. Somebody left a mirror there.  :biggrin:

vlcsnap-2012-03-05-10h33m07s98.jpg

Ag nee man!

And nogal on lunctime!

Did you take some pics after supper?  :pot:

Pleco said:
Ag nee man!

And nogal on lunctime!

I had to clear the helmet cam footage unfortunately.

Was just a tiny bit late on this pic. But was too dumbstruck to react fast enough.

Happened during breakfast on the last day. Caused quite a stir.  :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMAG0178 c.jpg
    IMAG0178 c.jpg
    71.2 KB
monkeyboy said:
Pleco said:
Ag nee man!

And nogal on lunctime!

I had to clear the helmet cam footage unfortunately.

Rynet was a little shocked  :eek7: when she got told why men keep their socks handy at a full campsite with thin tents!  :peepwall:

Some more. the camera doesn't capture the heat, which was significant. The rest stops at Eselsbank and Biedouw.

Attachments

• IMAG0375 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0375 (Small).jpg
    272.7 KB
  • IMAG0378 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0378 (Small).jpg
    158.9 KB
  • IMAG0381 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0381 (Small).jpg
    200.2 KB
  • IMAG0382 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0382 (Small).jpg