Should I remove the plate & screws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
On 6 October last year I had a slight altercation with a gold Mercedes Benz and I ended up with a broken collar bone (not Leatt brace related! ;) )
The doctor decided to operate and upgraded me with a plate and 8 screws.  It healed pretty nicely. 

On a follow-up visit to the doctor, I asked if it was now stronger or weaker because I'm still going to ride and wanted to know if I can take life's little knocks.  The doctor mentioned that the collar bone is in fact weaker (about 80-90% of previous strength), because if I should take a hard fall on that shoulder, the chances are that it will break at one of the end screws.  This is obviously always in the back of my mind when riding, so as far as possible I try to fall on the good side  >:D 

My question is this - Should I rather have the plate and screws removed?  It will likely mean that I won't be able to ride for 6 months or so until the holes are filled up again and the bone is whole, and it's going to be sore again.  Or do I leave the plate & screws there with a chance that it may break again, and then on one of the ends where it will be more difficult to heal?