Should vehicle (read "bike") insurance be mandatory?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentK

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
UK colleague was shocked to find out that one can own and drive a vehicle on South African roads without insurance.

This is likely why:
(From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_insurance)
United Kingdom:
Today, UK law is defined by the Road Traffic Act 1988, which was last modified in 1991. The Act requires that motorists either be insured, have a security, or have made a specified deposit (£500,000 as of 1991) with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court, against their liability for injuries to others (including passengers) and for damage to other persons' property, resulting from use of a vehicle on a public road or in other public places.

also
Norway:
In Norway, the vehicle owner must provide the minimum of liability insurance for his vehicle(s) - of any kind.

From own experience I know that even in Angola you are illegally on the roads if you do not have vehicle insurance.

Some people were recently criticized for stating that someone without insurance should not be on the road.

Question:
If it was law to have insurance, would there even be a question of whether or not you have insurance?
Does affordability then play a role?

I am not saying that you should have insurance, just that it really is a good idea... in my books (even if it is daylight robbery).