Skid Solo & the big puke..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston Pete

Teach Peace
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
A very short RR.

So i had my head around doing a small solo to clear the head & perhaps chase a few resident spiders still lurking within. The thought was to kuir at Oasis but the BMW Club had booked the whole place out for the weekend.
I looked around a bit then enquired at Driehoek where they had a wendyhouse/chalet available. Cool !
I left at about 3 on Friday & bulleted up through Ceres. The roads were nicely damped down already with only a few minor slippery bits.
It was well dark by the time i actually found the entrance...not well marked at all....trust your GPS...sometimes its right! :thumleft:
So i go down this track & nearly ride into a collapsible farmgate....its cold & the winds picked up & i'm thinking is this even the right farking road because i see no sign of lights or activity.
Ok...gates dragged & fastened but about 50m on there's a river...with a road through it. Now its dark so i get off & start walking the river but its to fucking cold. Hop back on Dogpatch & do what he was born to do.....dam the torpedo's & full steam ahead! :thumleft:
Got a bit wet but made it through down the sandy tracks to the farmhouse.
I was met by an unbelievably lovely young woman who shook my freezing hand and sorted me out.
I had taken the wrong road in & i can say that the 'proper' entrance road is a blast!!

Stripped & settled down to a lekker roaring fire & poured my first deserved scoop. What a lovely setting with a stream trickling by & a substantial campsite with amenities close by.
Here's a few pics...

Attachments

• Skid solo 001.jpg
    Skid solo 001.jpg
    162.6 KB
  • Skid solo 004.jpg
    Skid solo 004.jpg
    178.8 KB
  • Skid solo 006.jpg
    Skid solo 006.jpg
    158.3 KB
  • Skid solo 015.jpg
    Skid solo 015.jpg
    217.2 KB
  • Skid solo 055.jpg
    Skid solo 055.jpg
    196.6 KB
Glad you stopped by for a quick "Howzit" at the Oasis this morning... Guessing you also needed snorkel for getting home today...?

The night wore on & the wind died down....i thought i may be bored with my own company but then remembered...hey! I got no friends anyway! :laughing4: I did some soul searching & started getting some prespective on some issues & have a fresh resolve :)
Sitting by the fire & i started feeling unwell & i stood up & puked my heart out...i still don't know why:p  Maybe a cathartic head space thing...lets not go there ;D

So i had a few more scoops because i felt way better.... & so the evening ended.

Next morning i hit the proper road in/out & zipped through to Lebanon Citrus to sort my year end holiday out then blasted through to Lambert's Bay for a well deserved lunch Its always worth a trip there.
Saturday night the wind picked up dramatically with the advent of rain to come...& did it come! I packed up Sunday morning in the rain & rode to Oasis for coffee.
Ever noticed how quickly your boots fill with water but never seem to empty :biggrin:

I met up with the BMW guys who were fixing punctures & sorting stuff. Had a lekker chat with them & rode back with a few. We hit a number of rainstorms on the way back with the biggest one being near Caltex :p
All in all a satisfactory quick solo & it was definately worth it and to be repeated....next time it will be longer...

There is something special about the 990S, it has soul and character.....a future collectors bike. Every time i get back from a ride i thank my Dogpatch for bringing me home safe :)
I love my 990s :love10:...it's a King inamongst Kings :thumleft:

Attachments

• Skid solo 066.jpg
    Skid solo 066.jpg
    75.4 KB
  • Skid solo 067.jpg
    Skid solo 067.jpg
    176.9 KB
  • Skid solo 070.jpg
    Skid solo 070.jpg
    163.8 KB
  • Skid solo 074.jpg
    Skid solo 074.jpg
    153.3 KB
  • Skid solo 081.jpg
    Skid solo 081.jpg
    149.6 KB
Guys,
This place(Driehoek) is ripe for a Raid! :drif: Spoken to the farmer & he is keen to see us there. He does not see to many motorcycles coming through....for an event or just with a couple of buds its a cool place to visit. The farmhouse has a small shop for wood, ice & consumables & i'm sure if asked they could lay on some braaipacks etc. Its also family friendly what with the river & dammetjie with a waterslide for kiddies. If you are a hiker...yeah right...then this is the place for you! I also saw a family trudging through a trail carrying fly rods... :drif:
I will be going back for sure :thumleft:

I'm Pistonpete & i love this country!

Attachments

• Skid solo 075.jpg
    Skid solo 075.jpg
    198.5 KB
  • Skid solo 060.jpg
    Skid solo 060.jpg
    162 KB
  • Skid solo 057.jpg
    Skid solo 057.jpg
    165.1 KB
  • Skid solo 064.jpg
    Skid solo 064.jpg
    177.8 KB
  • Skid solo 083.jpg
    Skid solo 083.jpg
    197.7 KB
PinkGoat said:
Glad you stopped by for a quick "Howzit" at the Oasis this morning... Guessing you also needed snorkel for getting home today...?
Haha...i got so cold at one stage my jaw was aching from clenching...vrek...i got home & took a shower so hot it hurt!

Looks like a nice camping spot there.  :thumleft: Hope you got the head sorted - and that funny puke - bug!

SHORTnSWEET!!
Lekker trippie PP. We are spoilt when it comes to places to ride. :thumleft:

To quote our old pal Neil Young: " I need a crowd of people, but I can't face them day to day". Nothing wrong with alone time, it keeps you sane...I just need more of it...

Pistonpete said:
....for an event or just with a couple of buds its a cool place to visit.

Hi Pete, Nice RR. I too did a sole stop-over at Driehoek campsite (Dec 2008). Awesome site, right on the river front with super facilities. And since it's off the main Cederberg drag - 8km down a small dirt track - It not over-crowed with weekend 'cage' drivers. Highly recommended.

:thumleft:

Nice report Pete, thanks for sharing. There is something about solo trips, theyre awesome.

Your bike looks really sweet with that Dakar logo. Ever considered racing or following the Dakar?

Must confess when you think the Cederbergs are behind you....that stretch from Oasis has been my second coldest ride ever. No wonder their white wines are so crisp in Witzenberg.
But it strengthens the experience :thumleft:

BlueBull2007 said:
Nice report Pete, thanks for sharing. There is something about solo trips, they're awesome.

Your bike looks really sweet with that Dakar logo. Ever considered racing or following the Dakar?
I follow from my armchair mate....what i do is enough for me & forfills most of my biking ambitions ^-^

Hi Pete

I  apologize if I have missed it somewhere in the RR. But could you post the contact details please. Looks like a GREAT spot.

Lekker one Pete ! kak about the friends part , I think u have more buddies than u can handle , if the Oudtshoorn bash was anything to go by !  :thumleft:

I'm glad you liked Driehoek - I been there a number of times.
It's my fav campsite in the cederberg.
Not too big, well run, always clean.

The soft sand at the entrance is always a nice welcome.