Smelly subject: Hiking shoes or hardcore MX stuff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Oppad

I would like to know what you guys prefer for footwear on a trip. Considerations are limited space to carry extra stuff, the ability to walk around after stopping for the day, the ability to give your feet some air and rest, and of course, protection in the event of a fall.

Personally I like my waterproof hi-tec ankle boots and a pair of sandals (those rugged ones with the velcro straps and the knobbly soles) as an off-saddle resort.

The ankle boots also has steel shank protection, although it will never ever give you the same kind of protection as proper MX boots. They're actually hiking boots so you can slog a fair distance in them should the need arise. Being waterproof has it's pros and cons. With a rain suit on you arrive dry in the heaviest of downpours, but they don't breathe that well. This means they usually sleep outside after a long day.

The sandals are compact and lightweight and perfect for giving your feet some air. To me this combination works. Any other ideas?