So What Do You do When..........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
.........you have taken a tumble coming down Kao Mines Road on your lonesome, your foot feels like it is busted from getting caught between the bike and a rock, you are in the middle of nowhere and you have just had your second puncture, leaving you with no more tubes?

You phone a friend.

Well that's what I did this weekend on the way to the FS Bash.

I knew that my mate IanB and a whole crowd were staying at Katse for the night after riding a similar route to what I had just done. So I phoned IanB and told him of my predicament - stuck on a remote mountain about 80 km away from Katse, hardly able to stand, let alone walk and a bike with a flat tyre with no way of fixing it.

Without hesitation IanB tells me he will be with me in about an hour. He had just started unpacking his bike and was about to crack the first beer when I phoned.

I then managed to ride the KLR with a flat rear for about 20km to just short of Ha Lejone when IanB and his mate Gustav arrived with a tube for my bike. With their help we got the wheel off and a new tyre on in good time. The three of us arrived back at Katse Village at about 19h30 in the dark drenched from a thunderstorm.

Big thanks to IanB and Gustav, I don't know what I would have done without you.

I made the Bash on Monday morning after Wooly Bugger and Crop Sprang rode into Lesotho to meet me, and I got to say howzit to a few of the diehards who had not left for home yet. After an awesome breakfast (thanks 3D), Wooly Bugger and I had a nice cruise on tar back to Pmb through Golden Gate and Oliviershoek Pass.