Solo 1200GS rider - Need more fuel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudmucker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
:ricky: I ride my 1200GS solo.
I want to carry more fuel for longer trips - or just to back up when there's a stock out at a refuel point.
I'm too short in the leg for the Adventure  :( and I'm not rich enough to just convert the tank. :mad:
So, I've been considering various costly imported solutions (all over $100 US + shipping, etc.) :deal:

Today I was in G*me buying the wife a hot water bottle... ::)
and I saw this neat 5 lt plastic can from local company Tr*mT*ch and my mind stared working...

I bought 2@R99 each and took them home.
I dug out two straps that I got from my dealer when they cracked the shipping crate in which my bike came from Germany aus.
A bit of thought about routing the strap around the frame and...
;D [size=14pt]VOILA...!

1200GSfuelSoloR.jpg

The can rests against the frame and uses the standard footpeg as a bottom stop:

1200GSfuelSoloF.jpg

This is how the strap is routed around the frame on the right side so it does not damage the brake fluid line:
Run the strap through the slot in the footpeg backing plate and around the peg...

DSCN4454.jpg

There is plenty of clearance from the exhaust pipe on the left side too, so I don't expect problems there.
If you don't overfill the can and gently squeeze some air out before sealing the cap, expansion should also pose no problems either...
Waddayathink...?