Solo to the Rhino - a short RR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sef156

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
A few weeks ago I decided that I should probably go to the Rhino Rally this year having missed it last year. I grew up in Harrismith and still have family and lots of friends there and it's a big annual event for this small town.

I'm actually not really that keen on bike rallies, I can probably rev my bike and suip at home also if that was the motivation for going ::) But I thought to myself that it's a good excuse for a bike trip to Harrismith and there's a lekker party vibe in town all weekend too  :ricky:

My planned route was via Normandien Pass, Mont Pelaan, and round the back of Platberg mountain into town.

Friday

A nice clean KLR at home ready for departure
30102009.jpg

Soon before Dundee it started to rain lightly and there were some very dark clouds in the direction of Normandien. Just to be clear, I'm no hardcore biker, more of a fair weather motorcyclist  ;D So Plan B, maybe I should take Colling's Pass instead.
30102009_002.jpg

It seems that I am the first vehicle to be riding this piece of dirt today, no tracks to be seen
30102009_007.jpg

A bit further on I almost lose it as I hit a little mud at speed a little unexpectedly and the rear tries to overtake the front  :eek:  Oh well, at least I'm awake now...
30102009_009.jpg

There's a bit more moist on the road too. Although it doesn't look deep this puddle was top-of-swingarm deep and gave me a good shower  :)
30102009_021.jpg

I didn't take any pics at the rally site, because...uhm I kinda forgot to. By the way, I was limited to my cellphone camera because I forgot my mik-en-druk in the car  :-\  The quality of pics are thus not the greatest.

Saturday

Saturday morning I went to the site to see if I could spot any of the wilddogs who attended the rally. The only adventure bikes I could see close to the main tent was a spotlessly clean 800 and 1150GS which couldn't possibly have belonged to anyone on here  >:D

So off I went to Geluksburg by myself
31102009.jpg

That signboard doesn't look like it complies to the latest road traffic regulations now does it?

Down Tintwa Pass I find this new bridge which wasn't here last time. I decide to rather play it safe and take the path I'm used to  ;D
31102009_002.jpg

From here I went to the Zandspruit farm stall at the foot of Van Reenens Pass for a drink. The lady there tells me how thousands of bikes have gone up Van Reenens Pass towards Harrismith for the rally. Everyone obviously had to pay R43 to go through the Tugela toll gate, and the authorities must have made a killing this weekend  ???

The bridge over the Sandspruit
31102009_012.jpg

My little dirt route passes under the N3 highway towards Besters
31102009_014.jpg

From here I take the railway road back up to Van Reenen
31102009_018.jpg

The told me they haven't had much rain there lately. Yeah right  ::)
31102009_020.jpg

An obligatory pic at the tunnel. It's quite dark in there because it curves, especially when you're alone  :mwink:
31102009_021.jpg

A nice view of Natal down below
31102009_029.jpg

The roadbikes have to share the highway with trucks which just seem to be increasing in number everytime I go there
31102009_033.jpg

My return on Sunday did not quite go as planned because the family wanted to take a drive to the berg. Instead I only left at 5:00 on Monday morning.

My pretty bike on my folks' pretty garden  :laughing4:
01112009.jpg

I would like to apologise for all the pics of the fugly, but hey, there's not much else to take pics of when you're alone  :deal:

Oh, hang on, here's one to prove that it was actually me
30102009_018.jpg

That's it. Thanks for reading  :thumleft: