Some more Rail Service roads on Braai Day - Bon Accord -> Ga-Rankuwa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Sun Tzu say:-  “To attack in West, threaten in East”

Gunda say :- “To go West, plan route East”

Confucius say:- “And remember, no matter where you go, there you are.”

MadMike mentioned in response to ride report that he had ridden from the back of the Bon Accord dam to Rayton along the railway line. I thought, “that seems nice. Let’s ride it and see.”

So I eyeball Google Earth and Mapsource, and it seems doable, I phone my long-suffering friend Zerc and persuade him to ride it with me.  I prepare the tracks and roads in the GPS.

But I notice that there is a road that runs along the railway line West from the Bon Accord dam through the Onderstepoort Game Reserve and wonder if it is rideable – I suspect not, and expect big, cruel gates and fences.

We get there and find with a bit of messing about that there is a way onto the service road, and we can ride it through the little reserve, so we change our plans and ride West instead of East.

The service road is nice, but I am not sure if I would call it “newbie friendly” as there are quite a few places where you have to ride on railway ballast, which can be quite scary if you are not used to it, but it’s pretty, hence the track and report.

The track is on the North side of the Pyramid Koppies (Main sequence of the Bushveld Ingeous Complex DB9?)

At the west side of the reserve we hit the North-South line up to Shoshanguve, and had to follow that track South quite a way to find a way over the line and back to the East-West line via the “picturesque” Rosslyn landfill site.

In the vicinity of Ga-Rankuwa we hit a few dead ends and side-tracks, gave up, and headed home.

I have added the edited track to the library at :-

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=37367.0

The bit we rode

BonAccorddeWildtMap.jpg

BonAccordDeWildt20090924_000001.jpg

BonAccordDeWildt20090924_000002.jpg

Oops – no detour here

BonAccordDeWildt20090924_000003.jpg

Can we or can’t we – naah, lets ride round

BonAccordDeWildt20090924_000004.jpg

*ping DeepBass9 *

If you read this please check your geo maps at about S25 37.555 E28 06.467.

There seemed to be a sudden change in soil and rock type - my explanation was that we rode into Transvaal supergroup from Bushveld Igneous Complex, but my map is not detailed enough to see. 

It looks like Bushveld Complex the whole way according to my map.

Attachments

• geo.gif
    geo.gif
    111.5 KB
Wis I had heard of this before hand, I would have joined you guy's! :'( This is on my back door and have done this route a few times.

Catchy said:
Wis I had heard of this before hand, I would have joined you guy's! :'( This is on my back door and have done this route a few times.

Sorry. Would have put an invite out, but the forum, she was broke.

And a big thanks to the admin guys who worked so hard to un-broke it. 

But the ride from Bon Accord out east to Rayton is still on my "todo" list

DeepBass9 said:
It looks like Bushveld Complex the whole way according to my map.

Thanks S.

So it looks like I totally misled Zerc and gave him a whole incorrect explanation.

Must be a change within the BIC, cos there is definately a change there.

But the BIC is not that simple if I can remember my geology way back in the early seventies.

hey GG,

i normally start at the big sand loading area just past bon accord ( lavender str ) but then get of at mamelodi, follow the cullinan road till the little dirt road that goes to rayton. and then get on the tracks there again.

like to join next time, made i to Verena yesterday on some nice dirt roads behind dronkwordspruit.

madmike999 said:
hey GG,

i normally start at the big sand loading area just past bon accord ( lavender str ) but then get of at mamelodi, follow the cullinan road till the little dirt road that goes to rayton. and then get on the tracks there again.

like to join next time, made i to Verena yesterday on some nice dirt roads behind dronkwordspruit.

I was wondering about riding through Mamelodi.

Zerc and I rode through bits of Ga-Rankuwa and Shoshanguve yesterday, but did not feel in the slightest bit nervous or unwelcome. 

So I would have no hesitation in riding through Mamelodi - should I ? I think I am a friendly looking guy !  :D

no thru mamelodi is safe but just a lot of people and some animals, and lots of rubbish, i just go around as i don't like leaving dust hanging were people live.

madmike999 said:
no thru mamelodi is safe but just a lot of people and some animals, and lots of rubbish, i just go around as i don't like leaving dust hanging were people live.

Does not sound like a top tourist spot - maybe detour is best !