Southern Africa on a Honda CTX200 Bushlander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the subs and messages :) I will do my best to make a good ride report. I was checking some of my GoPro / camera footage from the hell and I got some great stuff so when I eventually get round to making a video it should be pretty cool too.

I'm still in Oudtshoorn with a bit of a dilemma. I'm still waiting for my "Application and Notice in respect of Traffic Register Number (ANR)" form to be processed as my temporary permit expires in 2 days time on the 30th. I finally got through to the office today and they are apparently going to call me back with the status of my TRN. Basically I need it so the bike can be registered in my name. I'm due a phone call back (if it happens!) soon. The dilemma is whether to ignore the fact my temporary permit expires and stay on the garden route or race back to cape town and hole up until my TRN is ready. I haven't been stopped once in the last 3 weeks despite not having a number plate but I would rather not risk getting pulled over and having an expired permit and get the bike impounded and the hassle that goes with that. If anyone has and contacts or advice I'm all ears :)

zebra said:
Subscribe; keep it coming Gentleman Jim!
Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris! Will do sir!

Casting from Turd said:
Yes yes. Welcome. You coming Addo way??

Hello :) Yes but it will be towards the end of the trip. I will be travelling clockwise so will hit it when I come back down into South Africa on my way back to Cape Town to sell the bike. Will try and remember to get in contact :)

Veldbrand said:
Good stuff Jim!
Please come visit if you're passing anywhere near Ladismith!!!

Yes I will try to for sure :) It all depends on the above TRN fiasco whether its at the beginning or end of the trip :)

Trailrider said:
Looking good! Was good meeting you. :thumleft:

Likewise. Thanks for your advise on routes and such. All the best mate!

:sip:  Best wishes and safe riding!

I finally got through to the Cape Town office about my ANR and it should apparently be ready by Thursday (fingers crossed). I'm going to head back that way over the next few days to collect it.

Dorsland said:
I don't see any ATGATT while riding that ostrich  :imaposer:

hahaha. That would have been awesome. Wish I had have thought of that  ;D

TechnomadicJim said:
Thanks for all the subs and messages :) I will do my best to make a good ride report. I was checking some of my GoPro / camera footage from the hell and I got some great stuff so when I eventually get round to making a video it should be pretty cool too.

I'm still in Oudtshoorn with a bit of a dilemma. I'm still waiting for my "Application and Notice in respect of Traffic Register Number (ANR)" form to be processed as my temporary permit expires in 2 days time on the 30th. I finally got through to the office today and they are apparently going to call me back with the status of my TRN. Basically I need it so the bike can be registered in my name. I'm due a phone call back (if it happens!) soon. The dilemma is whether to ignore the fact my temporary permit expires and stay on the garden route or race back to cape town and hole up until my TRN is ready. I haven't been stopped once in the last 3 weeks despite not having a number plate but I would rather not risk getting pulled over and having an expired permit and get the bike impounded and the hassle that goes with that. If anyone has and contacts or advice I'm all ears :)

zebra said:
Subscribe; keep it coming Gentleman Jim!
Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris! Will do sir!

Casting from Turd said:
Yes yes. Welcome. You coming Addo way??

Hello :) Yes but it will be towards the end of the trip. I will be travelling clockwise so will hit it when I come back down into South Africa on my way back to Cape Town to sell the bike. Will try and remember to get in contact :)

Veldbrand said:
Good stuff Jim!
Please come visit if you're passing anywhere near Ladismith!!!

Yes I will try to for sure :) It all depends on the above TRN fiasco whether its at the beginning or end of the trip :)

Trailrider said:
Looking good! Was good meeting you. :thumleft:

Likewise. Thanks for your advise on routes and such. All the best mate!

Best you do remember  :imaposer: :imaposer:  :thumleft:

While we sit at our keyboards and argue at length about the features of all the overweight , over priced, over equipped machinery that we consider so necessary for our activity, one has to wonder about the down to earth virtues of a rugged, unpretentious, low budget little bike like that little Honda. One that a rider with just average skill can take just about anywhere it's possible to go, knowing that he'll get there and back, and without worrying about breaking anything too expensive.
Way to go, from one Jim to another, best of luck and happy times, for the rest of your African travels.

jaybiker said:
While we sit at our keyboards and argue at length about the features of all the overweight , over priced, over equipped machinery that we consider so necessary for our activity, one has to wonder about the down to earth virtues of a rugged, unpretentious, low budget little bike like that little Honda. One that a rider with just average skill can take just about anywhere it's possible to go, knowing that he'll get there and back, and without worrying about breaking anything too expensive.
Way to go, from one Jim to another, best of luck and happy times, for the rest of your African travels.

I agree.  After reading Jim's post about Big vs Small bikes I realised that i can do it with my Big Boy XTG200 as well.  There is a dealer in almost every small town that is selling this product.  So it will also give me an indication if this is what i want to do.
what an inspiration you are Jim.  Thanx for sharing

MegaPix said:
jaybiker said:

I agree.  After reading Jim's post about Big vs Small bikes I realised that i can do it with my Big Boy XTG200 as well.  There is a dealer in almost every small town that is selling this product.  So it will also give me an indication if this is what i want to do.

the motor will last, but doubt the frame will. (no personal experience).
i was very tempted at buying 2 of these cheapies. doing a few long trips untill they start giving problems. and just dump them, or donate to the closest school kid.

Glad you stopped by for a chat TechnomadicJim.
Good to meet you young man and please take care on your travels.
Hope to see you on your way back to CT one day.
Break a leg mate! :thumleft:

Attachments

• 20131029_175819.jpg
    20131029_175819.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,139
jaybiker said:

Thanks man. Really nice to read your post before my ride this morning. Made me extra happy for the rest of the day.  ;D

MegaPix said:

Go for it :) The first step is the hardest as they say. Thanks for your kind words :)  

Flouw said:
the motor will last, but doubt the frame will. (no personal experience).
i was very tempted at buying 2 of these cheapies. doing a few long trips untill they start giving problems. and just dump them, or donate to the closest school kid.

Lets see what this little machine can do. The more I ride the CTX 200 the more confidence it gives me.

Veldbrand said:
Glad you stopped by for a chat TechnomadicJim.
Good to meet you young man and please take care on your travels.
Hope to see you on your way back to CT one day.
Break a leg mate! :thumleft:

Was great to meet you too. Thanks for the coke and being so welcoming despite me just turning up un-announced :) Was cool to have a chat and get your advice. Much appreciated. I will certainly pop by again on my way round.

So I left Oudtshorn for https://www.warmwaterbergspa.co.za/ after having it recommended by two separate people. Its really good value for money. I'm paying 200 Rand for a room with a kitchen and I get my own private massive bath with a huge tap for the hot mineral water. So good I decided to stay two nights.

The power was out so I headed the notorious "Ronnies Sex Shop" for my morning tea.

I then backtracked to Ladismith today so that I could ride some of the back (off) roads near the Swartberg mountains. There's a really nice road near Zoar that cuts through. Here's a couple of still's from the video (GoPro2 720p/30fps) I took today :

I didn't have time to follow the road all the way round so at this point I turned round and headed for Veldbrand's place. He kindly gave me some new directions and I took a mostly off road way back to warmwaterberg spa. Thanks mate!

Really fun day zipping about without luggage.

This is going to be an epic journey! Love your not so planned style. Ride safe TechnomadicJim  and enjoy.  :thumleft:

Keep it up Jim and pls give me a shout when you are near Durban on your way down. :thumleft: