Southern Namibia Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weskusklong said:
Hierdie RR gaan nog my lewe verkort, ek is nog besig om sand en kettie klippe uit my sak te haal van my Namibia trip, dan moet ek nou hier lees.
Pragtig.
Daai C14 is nou nog erger.

Ja Nee, daai C14 is 'n bliksem ... soos jy binnekort gaan sien hy het ons gatte geskop !

And then the oke shows up from Windhoek with the screen ... en net so is alles weer reg om te ry... of amper reg om te ry.

qxcn.jpg

Once again thanks to the fantastic Namibia mense.

Remember the sore arm? .. well the damn thing is no better and no worse ... but a rugby injury has now joined in the fun! That damn C14 was not lekker at all and Allan's knee has taken a hammering so we need to take it easy from here onwards ...

wxvb.jpg

Well we ain't dead yet so we head for Spitzkoppe. Plenty Springbokkies on the way there but in general not as much wildlife as I saw in 2010.

r524.jpg

9xky.jpg

It's a short ride so we take it slow 'n easy.

ic64.jpg

qqyc.jpg

n2et.jpg

In the middle of nowhere karrietjiesmense appear with a cell phone stuck to his ear ...

4cev.jpg

There's a concerted effort by the locals to tap into the passing tourist trade and we contribute where we can.

8ji6.jpg

dop1.jpg

mswl.jpg

Even a year ago the drought was clear to see ... and still it persists.

dcq9.jpg

But the dance floor is always ready to rock 'n roll.

fvr5.jpg

... no idea what this is all about ...

0rn5.jpg

... anyway soon we are through the gate and searching for a particular spot that I saw on another great RR here "Two Twins Hit Namibia" by Hermit in Nov '11.

nmsf.jpg

q5gf.jpg

kaf9.jpg

This is without doubt the highlight of this trip, one can enter from the West that's quite sandy or from the East that's also quite sandy but a lekker camp site awaits.

z8cn.jpg

hywo.jpg

3so.JPG

Right at the Western end is this hidden spot.

r7dj.jpg

The 4x4 crowd moves on and there's just that noise that silence brings with it.

mqj1.jpg

oqck.jpg

nw9o.jpg

There's even a room with a view too

2l6m.jpg

xwir.jpg

0vw0.jpg

Amazing rock formation

yo81.jpg

wyeu.jpg

Ever better at sunset

t0yw.jpg

m6rr.jpg

The next morning we reluctantly move on ... for once not exactly sure where to but we have agreed that we will not do the Northern part of this fine country on this trip.

hhwh.jpg

0npa.jpg

Not sure where this was taken after Spitzkoppe but it was a welcome break.

obxl.jpg

e784.jpg

h5nc.jpg

We decide that we'll camp in the Waterberg Lodge for the night.

5u0o.jpg

7mb9.jpg

Of course they are difficult for a change and will not allow bikes in even though we can see the camp site 150m away ...

ohni.jpg

q2nf.jpg

o7ro.jpg

... never mind, we have a lekker braai anyway.

em3d.jpg

722c.jpg

At 6am the next morning we watch the local baboon troop pull in and make a moerse noise and throw all the rubbish bins over .. we chase them away but if anything, they are persistent creatures and all bins are thrown over eventually.

qleg.jpg

3uw1.jpg

Thus we turn South with one more stop ... Oanob Dam just outside Rehoboth. Nice place indeed.

9k1r.jpg

qktk.jpg

t2ve.jpg

They have these great thatch bungalows right on the water.

zr3o.jpg

jr3m.jpg

8crc.jpg

6lp8.jpg

v0n0.jpg

It's even got some colour to it.

gqig.jpg

t6pk.jpg

Clutched out.

x6qa.jpg

That's it folks, shows over ... we slab it for home.

"Thanks for your time and I'll thank you for mine." - Rodrigues

o8zn.jpg

Some stunning pics Ian.
I still want to go camping at Spitzkoppe. :deal:

Pragtig Ian - Namibië is een ongelooflike plek.

ChrisL - daai Spitzkoppe kamp is op die lys vir volgende keer. :deal:

Fantastic stuff Ian, thanks for sharing.

Hope your arm is coming right at last...

BlueBull2007 said:
Fantastic stuff Ian, thanks for sharing.

Hope your arm is coming right at last...

Thanks Blue Bull2007 ... on return I got a CAT scan on it and the damage was clear to see, a tear about half way through the Bicep radial tendon or somesuch, it took months to heal but I have always had doubts about it's strength since. The arm also tires much quicker than before ... it's quite a humbling feeling to be so vulnerable and aware of one's limitations.

Safe travels

8)

Thanks for the rr.  :thumleft:
Namibia sure is a great place :drif:

ClimbingTurtle said:
ETS said:
chrisL said:
Some stunning pics Ian.

Ek wil saam. :thumleft:

Meee toooooo...>!!!!! We missed on my last trip - perhaps next year!!
chrisL said:
Some stunning pics Ian.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    u guys def need to do it fantastic place i no.me and ian want to go back there a again.      ALLEN I       

Was one helluva good trip but as ian said bikes held up good even with my prang.but hey that's the fun of it.Us on the other hand took a bit of a beating, but wouldn't of changed the ride

Ons het deur blote toeval die eerste ingang na Spitzkoppe gevat vanaf Henties,slegte pad, en daai sandput net na jy deur die hek ( plaashek) gaan.

Daar is n kleurling wat daar bly en ornamente verkoop wat die hek oopmaak as hy toe is.

Pasop vir daai sandput.

Dan is die pad tot by daai mooi kampplek bietjie sanderig maar heel oraait,dit is letterlik die eerste rotse teenaan die pad,daar is n tweespoor pad net links om die rots en die kampplek net agter daai rots waar die fietse staan.

Ek glo jy kan maklik verby ry as jy nie weet van die kampplek agter die rots nie.

Ons het nooit by die hoofhek uitgekom nie.

Dankie vir die RR Ian.  :thumleft:

Namibia is en bly maar mooi, saak nie maak waar jy jou in Nam bevind nie.  Spitskoppe bly maar een van my gunsteling plekke. 

Ry veilig.  :thumleft:

Yerra guys my cousin is as mad as ever but I'm going to join them next ride. Only way to live. Well done cousin A.

ALLEN I said:
Yerra guys my cousin is as mad as ever but I'm going to join them next ride. Only way to live. Well done cousin A.
tanx bill p next time post from u own profile o and u welcome to come with us

Ek was nog nooit in Namibie gewees nie, nog nooit die begeerte gehad nie, maar hierdie fotos maak my lus om te gaan! Goeie RR :ricky:  :thumleft:

Ian in Great Brak River said:
This ride report is looong overdue as the trip was done last year in May and I will not attempt any weak excuses ... Allen I and I had done less than the normal planning for any trip as I was out the country for most of it ... basically good old Skype came to the rescue! Allen needed a bike for starters and was quick to find an AT XRV 750 that was ready to roll from the off with good panniers, tank bag and pillion bag included in the sale.

zv4y.jpg

The general route was to Namibia, we had big plans to get to Upupa Falls, from Great Brak via Sutherland as we wanted to see Saturn's rings that are visible in our winter months, but I'm getting ahead of myself here...

He drove down from Pretoria, with daughter as pillion ... sowing the seeds for future rides no doubt.

c66d.jpg

As always there nothing quite like the start of a ride, a long ride, any ride for that matter ... as we all know reality stands still and in effect nothing else matters at that moment.

o5tm.JPG

Nothing quite like a Southern Cape sunset...

h94m.jpg

a96f.jpg

Even set up the new RIBZZ stretcher and slept on the balcony.

So the next morning we hit the road, going over the Swartberg Pass as he had not been to the other side of it before, for that matter he's never been out the country so many new things to experience ... like getting a passport too.

x1wv.jpg

9oux.jpg

az7c.jpg

612l.jpg

The weather was great, the pass was quiet, we're headed for Prins Albert.

yr68.JPG

gjvk.jpg

We've known each other since Grade 1, grew up in the same town, 2 km's apart, those days Yamaha RD 50's and Honda SS 50's (with double valve springs to help it get to 110 kph) ruled the roost. If you had klomp geld (from working at the Leba Theater for 56c an hour) you got a DT 175 ... anyway, where was I ..?  Sutherland I believe ...

r1px.jpg

8oiw.jpg

Sutherland, via Merweville where the roads were particularly shitty last year.

b0df.jpg

thanks Ian very nice pics and RR