Steelpoort and back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTM Jagermeister

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Five of us started our bikes at Wouter's house in Colbyn, Pretoria.  Wouter is our captain, lots of experience and he knows just about every route out and about of Pretoria.  Four KTM 950 Super Enduros and a 990 adventure.

We departed at 07h00.  It was me, Nico, Shawn (Tamoko), Lourens Crouse, and Wouter.  The previous night was wet and we knew that is would be slippery.  Started of down the railway stairs in Kilerpark (no fear of hights required), through East Lynne through die spruitjie and out towards Moloto next to the road. 

Shawn overcomming the MudMonster

The pace was fast.  In no time we stopped at a fuel station in Loskop.  Unfortunately the Super Enduros don't have huge fuel tanks and we often have to go onto tar just to refuel.  The Safari tank is certainly my next investment. 

From there we headed towards Groblersdal.  We had a Wimpy Breakfast just after 09h00.  Wouter lead us through the most devine area towards the mountains where we really got into the mood.  It was rocky off-camber climbs and falls.  We were right on top of the maintains.  Fortunately we had a look at google and knew there were roads leading down somewhere ...

On top of the mountains

But now I have to run ... more a bit later

..  The descent down was rather steep, rocky to slippery as poor Shawn soon found out.  I decided to capture the moment for the Wild dogs and he he could simply not get help but tumble down right behind me for a perfect picture ... Sorry buddy!

Strange how you never get the steepness of the decline capture on the image.

When we arived at the bottom of the hill, our arms were pumping and I for one was quite out of breath.  Fortunately eagle eye Wouter spotted a lovely shebeen were we stopped for a wishy washy and some beers (accompanied with rithmic african music). 

Wouter having one ...

Since we were all recharged with energy and Dutch courage we decided to re-enter the mountains.  After a small dry river bed we found a little path that led us unto a rocky climb through alloes and thorn bushes.

Start of the climb.

THunder coulds were forming above.  At this stage we were progressing extremely slowly onto an unknown and very technical path.  I for one had already found out that my legs were a bit short. We thought it best not to get trapped up in the mountains with rain pouring down so we turned around.  This in its own took about 15 min.

Turning point

We were met with a storm of note on the way down.  Eventually we stopped at another little restaurant for a beer and waited for the worst to pass.  It kept on raining so we dressed ourselves in raincoats and took the tar road towards our lodge.

The lodge was a cozy place with a tame giraffe and Jagermeister. 

Spotty

The next morning we had an early breakfast and settled the very modest accommodation and not so modest bar bill.  Eish, I was not feeliing good.  Wouter had just the cure.  A very technical start in and out of the river with jumps, turf, thick sand, rocks and .... Fortunately I was not the only one suffering.  Why do I always do this???

Note the turf on the back tyre.

Eventually we got out and started our journy back.  Wouter had found us a stunner of dirt road that took us back over mountains, through koppies, crossing rivers you name it.  The speed was fast and the traffic almost non existant. We were sliding in and out of corners.  By now the hangover was gone and we truly enjoyed the ride!

Helping each other through a river

... to be continued ...

Nice one  :thumleft: The last time i road with Wouter and another friend-we had to cross a river that was chin high, carrying our three bikes one by one above our heads--the third rider--will not mention names was soooo short he just hung onto the bikes footpegs as Wouter and i carried the bikes to the other side of the raging river.

The first tar that we hit was just before Marble Hall.  We stopped at the Olifantsdam for a smoke and a pic and then headed towards the fuel pumps. 

Olifantsdam

From here we did some tar and eventually arived at the Loodswaai root.  This is Nico doing what he enjoys on a tar.  Note the speed.

Lourens that had no stumbles up to this point immediately decided to go for a mud bath. 

The road was full of puddles.  If you were brave enough you could jump them. I pefered to sidestep them as much as possible.  Naturally you have those friends that to get you back for the previous days roost and splashed through next to you. 

The little river was flowing nicely.  We had just about crossed it when it started raining.  THe mud turned slippery and we carefully got back onto the tar, stopping at Moloto for a refill. 

From there it was dirt all the way to Sambok bar for the last beer of the ride.

HEE-HA !

What can one say ... never a dull moment when riding with Wouter, always a little special stage planned !

lekker,  :thumleft:

gaan julle ouens Rallye raid toe?, ek is nog in 2 minds, weet nie wat KTM gaan doen nie. stuur groete vir wouter en nico.

Jip ons sal sekerlik die lang pad aanpak.  Gaan nie die selfde wees as vorige 3 jr nie, maar sien altyd uit na nuwe uitdagings en RR1 is vol daarvan.

Gee Ive never seen much water at loodswaai imagine the waterfall at kwamahlanga  ::)

Laat weet asb ,het klaar pink slip vir saterdag het gedink om die plastiek uit te vat maar ek is oop vir voorstelle  :thumleft:

dit was n bedonnerde ride gewees. Ek het daai Saterdag oggend n behoorlike hangover gehad.....(Jaggies). Steelpoort is defnitief een van die lekkerste plekke om te ry met die Adv bikes.