Stellenbosch-Ceres and back...Wild Dog style

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvin

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
Somewhere in 2013 I wanted to go to Ceres for a weekend, visiting my girlfriend and her parents. My studies kept me pretty busy, so any spare time I had was accounted for, leaving very little time for riding. Thus, I decided to take the long route to and from Ceres.

Leaving home

I took the R304 from Stellenbosch to Malmesbury, stopping at the Eskom wind farm. YR.no forecasted rain for later the day, but the early morning was beautiful.

From Malmesbury a short ride on the N7, and then onto the R45 to Hopefield. Just off the N7 I hit thick mist. My speed was limited to 60km/h, with my visor continually fogging up. The mist lifted just as I rolled into Hopefield, looking for feul. The XR's stock tank is tiny, good for about 140km before hitting reserve.

From Hopefield I took the road heading to Velddrif.

After about 15km I took the dirt/sand track, hitting the small roads heading to Aurora.

It was round about this time that I started to get the idea that I was lost. I don't have a GPS (if anyone wants to give one away, pick me!  ;D) and I left my maps at home. I was now really only following my nose, picking my way through the maze of small roads. I finally found Aurora, passing through this tiny town in the direction of Redelinghuys.

I knew I had to turn right somewhere before Redelinghuys, and so I did, on a random dirt road.

I joined the R366 somewhere between Redelinghuys and Piketberg. I hit the tar in piketberg's direction, turning off to Eendekuil to look for fuel (again). eendekuil was closed for lunch (yes...it seemed likethe entire town was closed). I was sitting on 135km since Hopefield, thinking the XR was close to being empty.
Through Eendekuil on the R365, onto the N7. Here I had a choice...keep going to Citrusdal (15km away over the Piekenierskloof pass) or head back to Piketberg, some 30-odd km away, on a flat road.

I decided to take the shorter, but more taxing w.r.t. fuel consumption, route to Citrusdal. Riding (standing because my ass was sore from sitting) into Citrusdal I hit a roadblock. Yes, I know its a newby mistake riding into a town, but for some reason I was not thinking. "Goeie middag meneer", says the spietkop. "Dink u dis reg om so te staan en ry?" Trying to lie my way out of trouble, I play the innocent card. "Wel meneer, sover ek weet moet my voete albei op die pedale wees, beide my hande op die stuurstang en beide die wiele op die pad. Ek weet nie of die reëls enigiets sê van staan of sit nie."  ::) He looks confused, and I realise that he probably doesn't know if I may stand or not...maybe there's hope yet. "Wel meneer, vir u veiligheid en my gemoedsrus, sal u asb. sit terwyl u ry?" "Sekerlik meneer, dankie vir die raad", I answer, still trying to act as innocent as possible, and being glad I did not get a ticket. Scolding over, he started admiring the bike. "Waar kom u nou vandaan? En waarheen is u oppad? Hoekom is die fiets so vuil, kom dit van die teerpad af?" was a few of the questions. After chatting to them for a few more minutes I went into Citrusdal looking for a filling station.

Having refueled I hit the R303 going over the mountains in the direction of Ceres.

Through the mountains, past Op-Die-Berg, through Prince Alfred Hamlet and into Ceres, all the while battling strong crosswinds.

See the trees to get an indication of the wind speed.

Sunday afternoon, after a good lunch and a quick nap I refueled the bike (AGAIN) and hit the road. Ceres to Rawsonville on the R43 and through the Slanghoek Valley. At Rawsonville back onto the R43, through Villiersdorp (where I had to fill up again), onto the N2 between Botrivier and Caledon. N2 to Botrivier, and then onto the R44 heading to Kleinmond. Filled up for the last time in Kleinmond, and taking a quick break at the dunes in Betty's Bay.

From there past Rooiels onto the coast road, heading to Gordon's Bay.

From Gordon's Bay onto the N2 via Sir Lowry's Pass Road, and then onto the R44 and back to Stellenbosch.

Back at home

All in all a good weekend's ride, turning what could have been a boring 240km return trip into a exciting 700+ km adventure.
After this trip I started looking for a long range tank. A few months later I got an absolute bargain from Grondpaaie, who sold his Clark 18l for only R1000. The BEST modification to the XR.

Nice ride Marvin. Seen a XR or two around Stellenbosch before in the campus area. Almost certain it could have been you.

witblitz said:
Nice ride Marvin. Seen a XR or two around Stellenbosch before in the campus area. Almost certain it could have been you.
For a long time I didn't se any other XR in Stellies, but theres a new one riding around town now. I'm on campus every day, so its probably me you see.

Nice RR.Always try and keep a cheap compass and photocopy of a paper map with you.It can save the day.

Good luck with the studies.

cheers

Mark62 said:
where,s home ? CCK Swellendam???
Home is a bunch of places. Bike is registered in Swellendam (family background) but I come from Durbanville (Northern suburbs) and stay in Stellenbosch.