Strange but true oil leak from my one fork - 2010 990R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Duck

Race Dog
Reaction score
No fixed address...Travelling Southern Africa in a
Hi,

I just thought I'd show you what I discovered...I took my front wheel off to get a new rim fitted. Obviously my bike then stood for a while without its front wheel on and today I noticed some very thin oil in the right hand fork axle carrier (where you push the axle through at the bottom of the fork). I wiped it clean then after 10 to 15 minutes I noticed a bit of oil was back!

I wiped again and got my magnifying glass out and a torch and hey presto, there I see a very fine hair fracture (see picture) starting to weep oil. It certainly seems like a moulding / manufacturing fault as its about a centimeter long in the center of the "tube", i.e. it does not go to the edge or look like a stress fracture.

As most of us, and especially the workshops, remove and install the wheel briefly (e.g. to change a tyre). All the bits get a quick wipe and are then fitted again...so I wonder how many others there may be out there weeping a bit of oil?

Ross at Raceworx KTM is going to look into it...I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Attachments

• IMGP3155.JPG
    IMGP3155.JPG
    80.7 KB