Suggestion: A simple Air Scoop design for the 1190

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shockwave

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Our 1190s are Hot!
To the extent of barbecuing meat balls and roasting rump steak.  No comment from KTM so we have to solve it ourselves.

I've seen several complex attempts at solving this, heat deflectors etc, all looking ugly and suffering from inadequate air flow/ air scoop size.  We need something that will scoop significant amount of air and ram it down and around the rear cylinder head and exhaust outlet.  It has to look good as well.

There would be three flat Polycarbonate plates each side of the 'bike.  The first plate is a parallellogram shaped "air scoop plate" fitting inside the rear section of KTM' engine crash bars.  The second and third flat plates would be triangular and fit snugly inside the twin vee triangles of the main frame.  We would use 3mm clear polycarbonate glazing sheets, edged with a small clear rubber strip to stop scratching the paint on the frame tubes.  The plates would be sized to align with the existing tube centers, a tight push fit within "the gap" and secured with either cable ties or plastic or CNC aluminium frame clamps if anyone can afford to manufacture them.

I'll publish the pictures of my one-off prototype and dimensioned drawings once I've got hold of all the bits, so anyone on the forum can make a set for yourselves, or you can organize a small production run if you think it's economic to do so.

Latest posts