Summer Rains - Bela Bela

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubiblue

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
Anyone in the Gauteng region would know how much rain we have been having, I am not sure about the rest of the country. But shit, its poured for several days here. From experience this usually makes for lots of fun when the sun comes out.

Usurper joined me on a ride to Bela Bela, being a visioinary like myself, we knew we were in for sometricky roads.

We met up near lanseria, and made a quick run to Brits. We grabbed some snacks there, and decided to make a "smoke" stop after we hit some gravel.

The roads were great, no dust, little bits of water, nothing hectic. I actually thought that it would not be as interesting as expected.

Usurper

Usurper's wheels

my baby

We again made quick head way to Assen. Then the conditons changed nicely... A couple as very slick sections and deep puddles, this one almost took me alive, bike died, took a minute or 2 to get it running again.

Was like this for quite some time, very fun with battlewing rear, well it was fun no matter what tyre you had on, hey Usurper!

After lots of "almost" moments we found our way to BelaBeal, filled up and had some "good ol Wimpy". We left and crossed the N1, did about 15kms of tar and then back to more gravel / mud.

Found a nice place to stop for a smoke break, check the nice parking!

After a while we found some really nice fast gravel again and found ourselves in Mamelodi, the traffic back home was KUK, to say the least. However I was still smiling for the muddy sections, so I didn't really care. Thanks Usurper, great ride, thanks for the company, hope we ride again sometime.

The route - 422kms , about 7 hours riding

Man this was an awesome ride. Scenic views, almost no dust, nice high speed sections contrasted with lots of sliding around in the mud.

Here are some of my pics:

The bus stuck in the mud next to the road should have been an indication that the muddy pool is deep! After rubiblue almost disappeared in the pool, I decided to go round it through the bush
PIC-0127.jpg

The road had turned squishy... it was even tricky to walk on.
PIC-0128.jpg

A stop for the proverbial Wimpy brunch.
PIC-0129.jpg

PIC-0130.jpg

My tyres were well clogged with mud
PIC-0131.jpg

PIC-0132.jpg

Again, what a lekker ride, thanks rubiblue

Lekka! That's the road we took over Dec to Bela Bela, what a blast! It was also just after the rains, luckily a bit drier than that and made for skopgat riding. Where you get out on the tar before Bela Beal turn right and go 5km there's the logde KoroKoro, lekker beers and friendly folke.  ;)

Liked the pics of the bike having a rest. Good to see you let the bike have a kip while you enjoyed a smoke.

Nice ride :thumleft:, but yes all the rain we have had up here is
driving me nuts.

It seems that winter is the better season for riding gravel in Gauteng.

Looks like a lot of fun was had. Though, I'm not sure who had more fun, you guys or the Monster?

Nice parking spot!!  :mwink: ;)

Awesome stuff though  :thumleft:

jeepers,,,i love mud like that,,,what a challenge,,,what fun,,,

imagine how great those bikes must feel,,,what a change after you've washed them

well done dudes,,,,its a great ride and you took it full on,,,,now thats an adventure !!!!!

some people would have ducked out long ago...but u okes are a cut above the rest

well done,,,,,nice rr

wish i wuz there,,,,snik snik

Latest posts