sunday 18th,,dealing with potholes, thinkmike and jacob zuma,,,ride report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iep_kruger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
like all great rides i started with a plea for someone to ride with on sunday 18th jan,,,coming from potholes and later umshiniwan i offered my canal routes,,,,,

on the basis op a beer at upperdeck afterwards,,,what the hell,,it rained the week before and i havent been there for at least a month,,,,so i was wondering if the mud monster would be there????

later we grew to add jenks and thinkmike who wanted to bring a pillion as well

some apprehension  about the looming mud monster  i felt better when welsh wanted to join as well depending on his flu,,,always good to have a good sweeper

anyway we met at harties engen,,,,in the meantime we missed jenks and welsh decided to rather nurse his flu,,,,,

so it was me,,,,potholes, thinkmike/pillion and umshiniwan,,,4 bikes,,,2 bms, a kawa and the at

the first part of the canal routes are always so welcoming,,,its fast and has a couple of lekker jumps and a sneaky cross over bridge over the hiway,,,,such lekker farms, scenery and a broad gravel road,,,what more do you want,,,,u work yourself up to close to brits industrial and instead of ducking to the tarroad i prefer doing the railway yard and matching up again across the line,,,,because some poepol decided to put a gate locked gate across the canal service road we end up ducking on a very narrow road behind the estates ,,,not lekker for a bm with pistons hanging out at sides with a pillion,,,,but we make it,,,,

then we duck through some lodges and dams on the way to the "cultural village",,,then out of nowhere,,,kazaaam kazooooo woosh,,,,,a 15 metres mud snot road jumps up and grabs everybodys wheels,,,,umshiniwan goes down,,,rather gracefully and we push our bikes through,,,,im worrying about that 3 kms stretch of mud monster thats awaiting us like a snake in the grass,,,ag well,,,,if its there we'll deal with it and all else fails we divert via the tar roads,,,,,we carry on through the "cultural village",,,,make reference of the granite koppie along the way that is systematicall being cut up into blocks and sent overseas,,,,but all goes well,,,,my posse gathers momentum and we are getting into the swing of things,,,,,only 500 metres to the mud monster????

and then we're there,,,,,but alas and thank goodness has been scraped and rolled and turns out to be a pleasant ride through the cattle farms,,,,we divert down gracelands hydroponics and soon we get to our dam spilway,,,,alas the canal are dry and maintenance is being done,,,,so onwards,,,hopefully the stream crossing will give us a splash and foto oppurtunity,,,,it does and thinkbike and umshiniwan decide to speed through the stream for a photoshoot,,,photos to follow

and then its halfway,,,,we start working our ways around the game reserves,,,decide to make a stopover at bakgat and reassess our next part,,,,umshiniwan has to go back due to commitments and the rest decide we need our names on the wall of fame at beestekraal,,,we have the compulsory quart of black label and then its those lekker fast stretches with lotsa spins and turns and exercises for powerslides,,,,too soon its over and everybody is having fun and everybody is doing better and better and in fact thinkbike/pillion shows us there power wheelies,,,wooo hoooo

arrive at beestekraal we order drinks and start chatting,,,we decide we will go back via the tar road and rather opt for upperdecks eisbein than beestekraals chillie and russian  breakfast,,,we kuier,,,thinkbike/pillion and potholes add their names to the wilddog of fame wall at beestekraal,,,i see space on the wall is getting less and less and lotsa uluyses bikers are stopping over as well,,,the audacity to use ouir wall

anyway we tar-road to upperdeck,,,order drinks and food and chat and find out about each other,,,we part with everybody going in different directions,,,another canal ride,,,some more new friends made and peace in your heart for the week ahead

im writing the letter,,,hoping to add the pictures after this but not sure because of the server move this weekend,,,,if i cant add the photos now i will add them next week,,,server willing of course