SUSPENSION SETTINGS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garye

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
A few weeks ago I responded to a topic on " Heidies are dangerous" and added my 2c worth, which was my experience of the Heidies I had bought ,and had ridden on for a  6 day , 1870 km trip from CT ,through Ouberg pass ( Sutherland)  , Swartberg Pass , Die Hell and Baviaans kloof. Upon returning from the trip I continued using the Heidies on my daily commuting to work and back and found that the front end was very loose and i had continuous problems with fish tailing at high speed ( 130 +).
I am a new D/S rider and do not have a lot of knowledge about the settings of the F650 GS suspension settings. eg: spring preload and shock absorber settings. I have been to all the D/S shops / spoken to mechanics / spoken to more experienced riders / chatted with manufacturers etc ( NO NAMES MENTIONED) and nobody could give me a satisfactory answer as to what are the correct settings for tar and settings for gravel. I understand these settings also go according to your weight.
I switched tyres a few weeks ago and put on my METZLARS. It improved the situation a bit but at 130km/h the bike would start fishtailing.

A buddy and I went out on Sunday morning for a ride , which turned out to be a 520km tour. My frustration at not being able to keep up ( 140km/h+ )  , set my mind in motion , which I hastily add should have been done a while ago. We stopped at a garage in Porterville after riding DAS KLIP PAS and I grabbed the preload setting  and cranked it on hard , just for something to cure my frustration. WELL WELL !!! I stepped onto a new bike. It is unbelievable what a difference 5 turns on the pre-load could have done to a bike's handling.
I hopefully bring to those riders who are also new to D/S riding a little knowledge and experience about small suspension settings to the F650GS.

NOW !!! to get my Heidies back on the bike.

Latest posts