Suzuki GS 500 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBiker

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NXR 125
After finally being able to ride a "big bike" but having limited funds i started looking around for a 300-400 motorbike for a similar money that i could sell my NXR for.. i quickly realized there were very few dual sports at that price and seeing as it would be used for varsity transport decided on a getting a roadbike for now. I initially thought of a more classic 1980's style bike and turning it into like a cafe racer style bike. After viewing some bikes in pretty terrible condition for not cheap monies, i stumbled upon a non-running GS500 that a guy had bought himself as a project bike but due to busyness had left standing for a couple of years. Bought it for a good price and after striping realized it wasnt in that bad condition.
dsc09212z.jpg

dsc09213v.jpg

We Got it running in a few days and it seems to be in fair condition. The bike does show thats its been standing outdoors, with a fair amount of rust especially on the rear subframe and around where the battery was mounted.

Looking at the bike im in a slight quandary as to whether strip it completely and get the frame repainted or whether to just fix her up and roadworthy and ride for now. The engine has been running but as of yet havent ridden anywhere on her.

What should i expect in terms of getting the whole frame sandblasted and repainted by like a panelbeaters. and does the engine have to be be opened or can it be sprayed whilst still "whole".

My final plan is to repaint the bike a matte grey with a black or dark grey stripe down the centre, but the cosmetics are gonna have to wait a slight while. I had envisaged doing alot more work in modifying the style of the bike, but the GS500 is more modern design and modifcations seem to be require alot more work to make them work. Anyone have any images of retro styled make-over of GS500's ?

Im also having trouble locating clubman handelbars anyone know where in Cape Town one can find these. The bikes sidecovers need are both cracked and need work, is it possible to fibre glass under the sidecovers to strengthen them, or do they have to be replaced.

Any advice or comments will be readily accepted.   :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: