Take that Garmin! Cheap, effective and not so dirty solution.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Oppad

The first time I enquired at Cape Union Mart about a cigarette lighter power plug extension for my eTrex they wanted to charge me a serious couple of bucks as it was a dedicated piece of equipment one could not find anywhere else. I can't recall the exact amount but it was prohibitively expensive, close to 1K if I remember correctly. More recently I went to Outdoor warehouse where they could not give me a price, nor did they keep it in stock. They said they will have to find out from the distributors Avnic and order. This is usually where I smile politely, mutter "jou ma" under my breath and walk away.  This morning I bought a simple C-Tech mp3 fm modulator brand new from Cash Converters for R69 bucks. Not nly does it take a memory stick or SD card for playing music (or heavy breathing if you're into that kind of thing) through the bakkie's FM receiver, but it came with neat little remote and visual console that will also give you the time. Best of all: When you plug the eTrex data cable into the USB-plug provided for the memory stick, the GPS runs from it without any batteries. What a bargain. Now I have only to relocate the cigarette lighter plug fron the side of the KLR to the fairing area. Now to see if the music playing part works as well. It has an 18-month warranty if the music part does not work.