Tankwa Karoo roundtrip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBig

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 955 Tiger
On short notice (because Cape weather suck) we decided to take  a long weekend and make a run to somewhere dry â?? ever wishful we were.
Not a lot of writing (it's Monday) but here some pics.

Thursday morning found us passing through Ceres and after a short stint on the R355 we turned off onto the R354 heading to Sutherland.

It was cold â?? I promise.
CIMG0001.jpg

The famous R355 to Calvinia
CIMG0002.jpg

Turned out that the R354 was less than impressive. The first bit was dotted with repairs after a lot of flood damage. Eventually the road deteriorated into dry mud with rutted tracks and some hidden surprises is the form of water formed ditches. Although there were lots of visible water there was no mud.
CIMG0003.jpg

We arranged with the local tourism office to go show us around SALT even though the visitor center was closed.
CIMG0004.jpg

An interesting fact about Sutherland is that is lies 20m higher than Johannesburg in altitude.
CIMG0005.jpg

We also went inside to have a look at the scope â?? impressive indeed.
CIMG0006.jpg

A giant sat idly watching the little ones scurry around.
CIMG0007.jpg

The wind was unreal. I havenâ??t experienced anything like that in a long time.
Children and small animals had to be tethered down.
CIMG0009.jpg

This church in Sutherland can seat 1200 people.  Two thirds the current population of the town. They were massively optimistic on the growth of this town I guess. Or perhaps it was a hope of â??growing into itâ?.
CIMG0010.jpg

Next morning we headed towards the Tankwa down Ouberg Pass. The weather look ominous to say the least. Temp read 7  ̊C
CIMG0011.jpg
CIMG0012.jpg

What an amazing pass â?? even with the weather it was something to behold. This is a MUST ride for DS riders.
CIMG0013.jpg

The sun came out â?? and sortof stuck around.
CIMG0014.jpg

The landscape changed to black slate. The foe of the DS tire but a spectacular sight.
CIMG0015.jpg

CIMG0016.jpg

It must be the moon rocks.
CIMG0017.jpg

Exposure was crap but an interesting pic.
CIMG0018.jpg

From here we turned into the Tankwa Karoo National Park and travelled the width of it (55kmâ??s)
CIMG0019.jpg

CIMG0020.jpg

Amazing flowers and views.
CIMG0021.jpg

Itâ??s called Pramberg â?? I promise.
CIMG0022.jpg

We havenâ??t seen a person for hours â?? the ranger told us that we were only the 2nd vehicle to go that direction the whole week. The wind was howling and we sheltered here for lunch. A truly amazing place.
CIMG0023.jpg

Must have been a hard place to live. This was their farm and Ouboet was the last to survive. 
CIMG0024.jpg

The terrain kept on changing â?? suddenly a large pan.
CIMG0025.jpg

Aah Calvinia â?? what a crappy place for a visitor.
CIMG0026.jpg

The alien tried to communicate with an odd shaped earthling.
CIMG0027.jpg

It rained when we left Calvinia and we were in for a wet day.  The sun came out to give us a brief glimps of what could have been.
CIMG0028.jpg

Go ride this road between Clanwilliam and Calvinia. You won't be sorry.
CIMG0029.jpg

The shooter becomes the target.
CIMG0030.jpg

Bad news ahead.
CIMG0031-1.jpg

The rain came and it was hard going through the mud into Clanwilliam where thankfully the rain eased up.
CIMG0032.jpg

Wasnâ??t thinking when I chose the Old Cape road to Citrusdal â?? mud everywhere and the bridge was almost too flooded to cross. We made it though and stayed over outside the town in Boschkloof.
CIMG0033.jpg

The road home through Kouebokkeveld the next day was pleasant but the amount of mud once again surprised me.
CIMG0034.jpg

And this is why you shouldnâ??t trim your front mudguard.
CIMG0035.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Awesome! Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Pity about the initial clouds at Ouberg, the view from the top is amazing on a clear day.

Awesome!!

What a brilliant ride
love it

that last pic of the AT is funny as heck

Cool ride! Eisbein & I seriously considered going that way over the weekend. We definately must do Ouberg Pass sometime

Lekker, we are thinking of doing that route as part of our return trip from CT over December.

Great report and some stunning pictures.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Gotta go there sometime soon.

Good stuff MrBig!

You had the right bike for the occasion. AT's dont mind a little water. In fact they swim very very well. ;D

Thanks for the nice piccies. :D

very, very  8) loved it!

Baie mooi.

Won't you please show your route on a map because i want to do a similar trip in December.

Latest posts