Tembe river crossing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollywood

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
Planning on enjoying some prawns in Moz. Day trip only, from campsite just across the border in Swaziland. Straight forward ride into Maputo, cross the bay with the Catembe Ferry, and then too Restaurante Diogo, washing away some large "seeflooie" with a cold beer, the Maputo skyline as a backdrop.

In an effort to cut some time off our afternoon trip back into Swaziland, I'm thinking of taking a shortcut at a train bridge over the Tembe river.
Coordinates:
26°08'37.86" S
32°26'02.60" E
OR
S 26° 08.626'
E 32° 26.051'
...which ever format you prefer.

Does anyone have knowledge about this crossing point? Is it do-able? There is a MOERSE lot of sand on that road - I know. Nothing that cant be klapped with some bravery and a tad of extra throttle. Its the train bridge that has me worried....

I can spot the bridge and service road on Google Earth, but Google maps and BaseCamp doesn't even show it. Any help and advice would be appreciated....maybe someone has done this before... surely! Julle is mos 'n hardebaard lot!
Otherwise... I'll go try it anyway, and let you know if we had to spend a night sleeping in our kit in the bush, 'coz we got stuck and couldn't make the border post on time.

oppie-agterwiel!!!!