Tenere 660 demo ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winston said:
Everything written here is my own version. No copy and paste stuff. Any similarities is purely coincidental. The Free State accent in my english should be evident to the grammer hitlers. The ride offered to me on the bike was unconditional. Nobody asked me to write or say anything.

I was just pulling Mark's leg  ;D

I do believe you. In fact I believe you so much I think I want one ! 

Up to the top of my leaderboard goes the Ten !

Must have been a Tenere Weekend

We were doing a film shoot for a pilot series on Adventure riding in Southern Africa for next year - over the weekend up at Agulhas.

I was really impressed with the Tenere.

A dream bike all round.

Full ride report and bike review will be out soon.

Marshall

Attachments

• PA042428small.jpg
    PA042428small.jpg
    103.6 KB
  • PA032302small.jpg
    PA032302small.jpg
    114.5 KB
  • PA042399small.jpg
    PA042399small.jpg
    116.4 KB
  • PA042474small.jpg
    PA042474small.jpg
    123.1 KB
  • PA042503small.jpg
    PA042503small.jpg
    98.3 KB
Looks a really nice bike and sounds plenty capable - there is one in the WD calendar

what a load of crap!!

mark so Yammie biased, could've given him BM with a Yammie badge and he still would have loved it :biggrin:

Yamaha orange would be his ideal world  :mwink:

whats the ground clearance, suspension travel and tank capacity on this bike. Is the suspension adjustable?

Better buy Chiccolina the second hand BMW Dakar before she speaks to Mark or Winston.

chicco said:
whats the ground clearance, suspension travel and tank capacity on this bike. Is the suspension adjustable?

Better buy Chiccolina the second hand BMW Dakar before she speaks to Mark or Winston.

Ground clearance - lots and lots , susepsion travel i think is 200 and 210 (something liek that)  tank capacity = 23 litres

suspension is adjustable and its a peach on a new bike

GundaGunda said:
Winston said:
Everything written here is my own version. No copy and paste stuff. Any similarities is purely coincidental. The Free State accent in my english should be evident to the grammer hitlers. The ride offered to me on the bike was unconditional. Nobody asked me to write or say anything.

I was just pulling Mark's leg  ;D

I do believe you. In fact I believe you so much I think I want one ! 

Up to the top of my leaderboard goes the Ten !

;D ;D

you won't be disapointed in what the little yammie has to offer.

I didn't mention that on Friday afternoon myself and the brother-in-law did about 40 kms of cane roads  and trackes throgh the forest. This was all in the rain and the mud monster was out to play. Again the yammie was very easy to handle and held her line very well, even with those standard tyres.
We were able to maintain speeds between 50 and 70km/h without the bike getting to unstable. The tyres played more of a role when things got side ways.  >:D

This last weekend I did over 400km on the bike and enjoyed it tremendously.

Nice report there, Mark.

Is it just me or I am I the only one who's thinking that somewhere something is wrong with that ugly "nose" / front fairing ? It looks like someone rode the bike smack bang into a wall?

Apart from the looks, which I hope will still grow on me, this seems like a really capable bike judging by the write up.

Must agree with doubleoseven, my first impression of the front end made me think it looks like a rooi hartebeest in full tilt.  How does it compare to the Dakie??

Nice one Mark! Seems everybody who rode it liked it. Its a pity manafucturers like KTM with the KTM690 Adventure reckon that holding the bike back is the best idea to weather the global financial meltdown. By the time they wake up and smell the roses, the KTM dealers  would have lost out on thousands of bike sales.

If you think about it. There's no middle class DS bike out there. New models, that is.

• The BMW GS600 has two pistons. So it doesn't count
  • The KTM 690 Enduro is heaven in technical stuff, but you gonna die on your way there. The seat is enduro the wind protection non-existant. Its a enduro bike. Thats it.
  • The Honda Transalp. Although it rides well, handles well and is a good bike, the groundclearence and tank makes the Yamaha the winner there.

Now don't start comparing the GS800 etc. Thats a different class bike. I'm talking single piston thumper here.

So I say, good to Yamaha. They brought out a good bike in the same economic downturn the rest of the manufacturers are expierencing. So if half the DS populations ends up riding Yamaha, don't come f%$#$ng crying on this forum!   >:D

doubleoseven said:
Is it just me or I am I the only one who's thinking that somewhere something is wrong with that ugly "nose" / front fairing ? It looks like someone rode the bike smack bang into a wall?

Apart from the looks, which I hope will still grow on me, this seems like a really capable bike judging by the write up.

Thank goodness we are not all alike. My view of looks.

I think it looks great. A D/S bike must look slightly "military" ie functional over aesthetic - slightly "insectile" and un-streamlined. A bit of Land Rover defender and Jeep.

I think the Katooms, F800 and 1200GS have that look, but it is totally missing in the stroms, TAs ana Varas - they look like road bikes to me. 

The KLR 08-> misses both roady and DS looks totally. The KLR <-08 had it.

The new Aprillia Pegaso trail is to me one of the best looking bikes ever made. Sort of reminds me of a lady vet I once knew who could look sexy with rhino blood and shyte up to her shoulders.

Hey !! I have just realized I am a closet poser.

GG, if you had to ask me to choose a new bike for you I would say the Tenere is the one. I've ridden it and it would be the perfect bike for the type of riding you do. Very comfortable seat for the long trips, handles the dirt with ease, enough power for your requirements. The height might be a slight problem but nothing major. Go get one.

Frog said:
GG, if you had to ask me to choose a new bike for you I would say the Tenere is the one. I've ridden it and it would be the perfect bike for the type of riding you do. Very comfortable seat for the long trips, handles the dirt with ease, enough power for your requirements. The height might be a slight problem but nothing major. Go get one.

I think you right. A KLE with more grunt and better suspension, and enough macho look to pull the chicks  ;D

doubleoseven said:

I reckon the tenere is the sexiest skuta ever built .... each to his own i guess.

i go to the garage at night just to behold the beauty of it...