Testing Soft Panniers for AlanB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
A while ago AlanB asked for someone to test a prototype soft saddle bag/panniers

As I was going on my weekend trip to the farm it was a good time to test the bag.  Alan wanted me to test a new bag that was attached to an old bag from where they are copying it.

I have fairly large Givi Hardbox panniers on my Suzuki 650 DL V Strom and it was fully packed when I left to go fetch the test bags.  I immediately made a decision that if the bags are too small for all my stuff I'll leave the bags as I did not wanted to leave anything behind on the trip.

I decided to first strap the bags to the bike and then once it is on to pack it.  The reason for this was I did not wanted to struggle with heavy bags being picked up and struggling to strap them across the seat.  As I was alone when packing this worked out fine.

AlanB had a concern on the prototype bag where the straps was very long.  I made use of this and secured the bags to my pannier frames with ease.  It took me a while to get it to sit as i wanted it, but later on in the trip it was quick as i knew what i wanted to do.

The most satisfying part about the bags is the size of it.  After I unpacked my panniers and packed the soft-bags there was ample space left for extra stuff.  Folding the top of the bag down showed me i had about another third of the bag not even being used.

The bags straps nicely over the seat and was easy to then strap my tent on top of it. 

Whilst riding there was no issue with wide panniers and it was very stable the whole way.

Close to the farm I went through a mud whole at quite a speed and was drenched with brown muddy water.  The bags was wet and inside it was dry.  The material is a soft canvas type and very easy to fold and handle and waterproof.

I was very impressed with the bags and will definitely look at a set for myself once in production.  I'll only use my panniers when I do a road trip then.  BUT, with the space it has I might keep it on as it is also much lighter than the boxes. 

AlanB I already gave you feedback.  I hope that this product will be available soon.

Some pics:

Standing at my bike with the bags on

Attachments

• KS-123024-2.jpg
    KS-123024-2.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 240