The Adventure Commute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krister

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I am one of those riders who regularly commutes between Jozi and Snor City.  I see there are many of us (specifically adventure bikes) and thought it good to start a thread dedicated to us, devoted and sometimes rain-drenched, non-farkly, underrated and mostly unappreciated commuter-riders...

Personally I cross the "Boereworsgordyn" between Jozi and Snor City almost every day.  This morning was particularly pretty - with pastel colours of purple, orange and baby blue in the morning sky.  

Life is good  :ricky:

What was your underrated commuting experience?

Used to bump into you on that trip Krister :thumleft:

I now do a daily 120km round trip between Henley on Klip and Weltevreden Park, with only about 20km of that on the highway - look forward to it every day, and have a few "alternative" routes for the days where it is required ;D

Last time I did that route I saw 2 accidents, one where the whole highway was blocked off. Also saw all the people drifting all over the highway while texting. Too much adventure for me....

You guys are hardcore.. :thumleft:

Pistol said:

I now do a daily 120km round trip between Henley on Klip and Weltevreden Park, with only about 20km of that on the highway - look forward to it every day, and have a few "alternative" routes for the days where it is required ;D

And the "bumping" was best when it coincided with bumping brewskies at Green & Gold!  :eek:ccasion14:  We must do it again sometime...

Your commute sounds lekker!  Does it include R59?  :ricky:

Beebop said:
I travel the R21 daily, not many bikes on there

The R21 has been much improved since a few years back!  :thumleft:

I'm actually surprised that there are not more Snortoria East bikers using it...

krister said:
Pistol said:

And the "bumping" was best when it coincided with bumping brewskies at Green & Gold!   :eek:ccasion14:  We must do it again sometime...

Your commute sounds lekker!  Does it include R59?   :ricky:

About 3km R59, then found another route through Walkerville :thumleft:

Pistol said:
krister said:
Pistol said:

And the "bumping" was best when it coincided with bumping brewskies at Green & Gold!   :eek:ccasion14:  We must do it again sometime...

Your commute sounds lekker!  Does it include R59?   :ricky:

About 3km R59, then found another route through Walkerville :thumleft:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it for 3years to sandton, then worked in PTa for about 2years and now back in sandton.

Trading the car in on a bike and will start this commute again next week if all goes well

Commute Centurion-to-Midrand was made interesting this morning ...

Just after the Mint I see some blue lights way back in the morning queue, and chuckle to myself that the cop will still be that far back when I turn off at Allandale.
Not So!!! The lights are fitted to 3 seriaaas bikes, followed by 2 white cop cars and the glossy-black Numba Wun 6-vehicle cavalcade. They manage to catch up to me between Shell & Samrand, by shoving, flashing and sirening their way through the general populace. Once they has "courteously" made their collective way past me, I joined the other 3 bike commuters on the tail of this collection of self-appointed importance, for a faster-than-normal filter through the traffic.

However, the novelty soon wore off, as most drivers showed their irritation at being so rudely awoken during their normal morning doo-doo by re-joining the lane as soon as all the flashing lights had passed by.... without checking for additional civvie hangers-on.  :ricky:

The result of this whole exercise :-
1. I passed the blue-light brigade mired down in the infamous Allandale tail-back, pooping and parping their exasperation at the inability of the jam to spread itself out of their way.
2. Between Samrand and Allandale I saw 2 bumper-bashings, as a direct result of drivers reacting badly to the unaccustomed bully tactics of the VVVVIP Protection Farce.  :snorting:

Ride safe out there, guys 'n gals ...

:laughing4:  :imaposer: Well put!

I also passed same on my way to work in the other direction...  I always wonder why they (the VVVVVVIPs) cannot plan better and get up earlier  ;)

Overall a nice commute except for one twattwaffle who decided an indicator is only needed AFTER you changed lanes... Must had I got placid like i was 2 years ago and should watched the gap more closely...thankfully ABS on my bike worked  :ricky:

after a few words, some signs i shook it of and moved on.

I do the Vereeniging / Roodepoort commute in the mornings.I did`t see 1 adventure this morning it must be the cold.

I do Faerie Glen to Bryanston at the moment and will do for the 12 months or so at least. We Pta to Jhb commuters often meet at the Ultra City Steers for a coffee on the way. Stop and say "Hi" some morning. I am not always in time but the group is nice lot. Usually somebody there from 7:15 to 8:00.

:useless:

Kom nou toe, strap on a gopro and take some pics of your commutes.
Dankie      ;D

brendonhoy1 said:
I do the Vereeniging / Roodepoort commute in the mornings.I did`t see 1 adventure this morning it must be the cold.

1degree when I left Henley this am - what route do you take? I go through Walkerville on that new double lane road up to Southgate :thumleft:

Latest posts