The Adventure Commute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pistol said:
brendonhoy1 said:
I do the Vereeniging / Roodepoort commute in the mornings.I did`t see 1 adventure this morning it must be the cold.

1degree when I left Henley this am - what route do you take? I go through Walkerville on that new double lane road up to Southgate :thumleft:

I go through the R59 and then on the southern bypass.I was thinking of going your way this afternoon (less boring).

Pistol said:
brendonhoy1 said:
I do the Vereeniging / Roodepoort commute in the mornings.I did`t see 1 adventure this morning it must be the cold.

1degree when I left Henley this am - what route do you take? I go through Walkerville on that new double lane road up to Southgate :thumleft:

I take the R59 then go through the southern bypass.Was thinking of going your route this afternoon on the way home (Less boring)

I start off on the R511 near the Hennops River Valley and commute through Midrand, idling through the 4 - 6 km parking lot that is Summit road to the Oliphantsfontein onramp, onto Allandale to Chloorkop.

I barely commute, since the Wife and I come in every day to the same place (Flying Brick Store), AND she does her make-up in the car to save time, difficult on a bike!

the ride is from Hout Bay, up Suikerbossie, along the coastal road, into Camps Bay, up Camps Bay Drive, past the cable-car entrance, down Kloof Nek, through Cape Town, and out to Paarden Eiland.

Strangely enough, it is NOT much quicker by bike, than by car!
Why? in town itself, the roads are old roads coming down through town, and they have no space for lane splitting to the front at traffic lights, unlike newer roads around the city...
that, and there are not many SAFE overtaking opportunities on that coastal road, AND the view is amazing, so it MAKES you chill.

Of course, coming back in the evening, we would take the SEA POINT - CAMPS BAY - CLIFTON route, before rejoining the coastal road again...

I usually slow down VERY much coming past Caprice Cafe - there is a LOT of skirt hanging around there, and the Wife puts up with my 'taking in the view'!  ;D

Beat that commute, if you can!
Chris

Latest posts