The Hog's Tour (Strand to Hogsback)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre v S

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
It’s always a pleasure when friends invite you to a riding trip even if they decide to call it “The Hog’s Tour”. It’s also good etiquette not to ask why some in the party decides to participate with a Royal Enfield 500 Classic. But… seriously? I mean, Die Hel and Baviaanskloof may not be technical rides but what about Mitchell’s Pass to get to Hogsback?

Anyway, the aim was to have fun and feed the eternal debate BMW vs. KTM with the improbable Enfield to contend the title of the best Adventure Bike. And it did turn into an adventure after all.
Apart from myself (and this is my first post) there were two more Dogs: Flowers on a GS1200 and JAmBer on his loyal KTM 990 with new aftermarket tanks large enough to refuel all of us in case of necessity. I rode my KTM 690 Enduro. The non-Dogs were riding respectively another 1200, an 800 and the star of the trip: the energetic Welsh visitor on the now legendary Royal Enfield 500.

As I’m not too good with words I’ll leave the story to some videos. The other Dogs will fill the gaps.

The First Part is about the easy leg to Calitzdorp via Rooiberg Pass, possibly the only one that was done on schedule and the second leg to Die Hel. It was quite amusing to see the Enfield negotiating the rugged terrain at ease without delaying the group. It was also a big attraction for the occasional 4x4 we overtook descending to Gamkakloof. Bonus of the first leg was the orgasmic Chocolate Mousse at The Naked Lady Restaurant in Calitzdorp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoOkqi-aRcI