The Kalahari Tyre lever tour- Pretoria to Kgalagadi Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What I have learnt so far in the Kalahari.  The Blackbacked Jackal.  Enemy number one of all sheep and game farmers.  Every time you eat a lamb chop or Springbok biltong, remember the jackal that paid for it.  It is a fact of life. Jackal and commercial farmers are in direct confrontation.  If one jackal kills one lamb a week, it is 52 a year.  Make your own sums.

Nice  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Sub!

As I was saying, nou waar was ek laas?
OK, Sunstar se hek.  As I was standing at the gate of Martin Sterley’s farm I looked south towards the mountains.  The Korannaberge.  The place where my maternal great-grandfather Jacob John Niemand, is buried.  Co-Founder of the Apostolic Faith Mission (AGS) in 1908.  He suffered heavily for his beliefs.  Buried on the farm Steenkamp, now part of the big Tswalu Reserve.  Also buried there 5km apart is the Cape “Camel Policeman” Botha.  In the ealy part of the 20th century, this part of the world was still patrolled by policemen on camelback.  Unfortunately my plan to visit there with this trip did not materialize.

The grave of Jacob John Niemand at Tswalu . His father owed an English trader with the name of John Barry money.  So Barry said "Name the child after me, and the debt is written off". So Japie's second name became John.

The white chalk road red dunes from Van Zylsrus to Askham

Oom jou tyre is pap! En so was dit!

Unfortunately the lens was dirty.  The children of Welkom Hartbees.

Nicus Strauss and his son.

Follow this sign and 20km later jou will get to the house of Oom Neels en Tannie Meraai de Klerk on the Pan.

So I stopped at Van Zylsrus for a brekvis.  I bought a frsh baked pie and a Coke, rode out of town and had my last hot meal for 30 hours.  The road to Askham follows the dry Kuruman river and the landscape is dotted with farms every few kilometer along the river.  After about 150km I reached Askham., and turned on the tar road towards the parks gate about 70km away.
I reached the gate of the park, took the photo and turned around.  1213km.  Now I was heading for the desert.  The Klein Awaspan.  First 8km back to the settlement of Welkom Hartbees, and then 13km through the desert to the lone house on the pan.
I entered the little village and asked where I will get hold of my connection, the shopowner,  All the children was running around me on the bike.  One of them took a picture.  And another shouted “Oom jou tyre is pap!” So wragtig.  The rear tyre again.  And the gate at the back of the settlement to the dunes were also locked and the key was gone!  So I pumped the tyre and left for another 7km back down the road.  Hoping it would last.  There is another path running through the desert.  But I did not get to that road.  The tyre was flat again and I stopped at a farm and asked an old woman if I can repair my tyre on her yard.  I made myself at home.  Sometime later her son came along Nikus Strauss.  I took out the old tube but the patch was gone.  The slime in the tube would not let the patch last.  So plan B.  I took out a spare 21 inch tube and place it on the 17 inch rim.  It worked and of I went on the tweespoorpaadjie. 

My GPS said it is 20km to the Pan.  But this was not your average run of the mill 20km.  The red tracks running up the hill was in fact sand tracks up a dune.  And when you were on top it was sand on the other side also.  Then another dune was coming.  And then just as I was making headway, there was a gate.  Stop. Open the gate.  Take the bike through, close the gate, try to get to a standing postion on the bike.  But it takes about 500m to get  back on the track and get standing.  Then negotiate the track.  Just to reach another blooming gate!  So it goes for 5 gates.  And the sun was in my eyes again.  And the shadows nearly impossible.  And by my second fall, I the endurance athlete was so tired, I cannot remember since when.  So with the dust settle fast and another 4km to go the gate infront off me, made the decision for me.  I climbed off, took 2 liter of water and pitched my tent.
The rest of the evening I was sitting there in the sand, looking at the stars.  And thinking about my life, my wife, my business, my mistakes, my short comings.  And there alone in the desert I made peace with myself.  The night was windless and clear.  But do not believe that the self-inflatable matress works.

Before sunrise I was up.  But I Khaki Government soldier shot me through the left shoulder during the night.  It was very sore.  So I took a pain pill with my last drops of water, and got back on the bike.  The going was now much faster with the cold sand.  Before long I reached the last gate and the chalk clifs around the pan was in site.
I rode across the pan to the house of my Pretoria Metro Police Colonel friends parent s house.  I spend about an hour with them before getting back on the bike.  Tonight I wanted to be back with the Sterley’s.  I went with the Mier road back through the desert and then on the tar back to Askham

The last gate with the chalk egdes of the pan in the back.

Lone KLR on the Klein Awaspan

Die de Klerks van Klein Awas

Tsammas oppad na mier

At Askham I filled up when a man with a jeep with a work trailer stopped at me.  He was heavily interested in what I was doing.  I explained the 21 tube on the 17 rim.  “No problem, I am also I biker.  I have a KTM1190 and and a 530”.  I have a spare 17 at the guesthouse.  So did I meet Jean le Roux.  So we went to the farm and I changed the tube and cleaned the tyre from al the lslime in the tyre..  He made it his business to make his guest house biker friendly.  With parts and support.  If you go with your bike through the Kalahari, Boesman is man man to give a visit.  So we greeted and off I went.  5km later the new 17 inch tube also blew.  I returned, he was gone to some job, but I knew the lay out by now.  So when he returned the 21 was back again.  So off I went for the last time.  20km later, the 21 in the back also blew!  I was stuck next to the tar road, 5km from Askham.  So I phoned him.  He piched up with another trailer and I asked him to drop me at Askham

Jean le Roux, the great helper.

Phone Jean le Roux, also know as Boesman

The second time for the day

The cavalry arrived

At Askham I took my first tube, that I luckily took along the previous afternoon, and me and the tyre repairer repaired the tube.  It was already 5 o’clock and I asked where can I sleep.  So I ended up at the Askham Camping site with Tobie and Rene van Wyk.  I decided to book a chalet.  I was sitting there looking at my droee wors when there was a knock on the door.  So Rene brought me a hpt plate of food!
Early the next morning I was back on the bike.  How long would our patch last?  There is no cell phone signal between Askham and Upington.  180km.  When I reached 30km from Upington I knew that I would be save.  Thye signal was back.

So I rode into Upington and bought a new 17” tube.  But decided to continue with the patch.  At the bike place, a young man working there looked at my bike tire and said ” Oom jy gaan nie Pretoria haal nie!  Well he was wrong both the tube and the tyre lasted.  I could not stay another day and that night at half past 8 I opened my gate.  Not without incident.  Near Sannieshof  I realized that all the shaking has created a bad connection with my bright light.  And I could not pull off the road with all the long grass.  So I struggled through the dark on a wet road to Tarlton, where I sorted the dim out.  Atleast I had a dimmed light to use.  But that night I slept in my own bed.  Tired but happy.

The bottom line is.  If they do not want to come along do it alone. 

Thanks for an excellent RR. I enjoy the research you have done.

Baie nice RR, dankie

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Places were I happily stayed and would recommend:

Rust en Vrede BB, Kameel. 3km West of Delareyville take the R377 and 47km further on the righthand side.  Or Take the R377 at Stella and go 20km south.  Friendly people, converted the house of the old furtilizer representative into a BB.  Also the local wild animal rescue people.  Telephone number: Patrick at 076 548 8035

Sunstar Guest and Hunting Farm.  Martin and Lizelle Sterley.  Sonstraal north of Hotazel, 15km from Frylinckspan.  Camping and guest rooms loose from the house. 0828201068  Martin has a KTM300

Dreghorn Farm.  Self catering, between Askham (25km) and the Park gate.  Man, this man Boesman le Roux is a real biker.  He caters with basic spares and support from the farm workshop.  They also have a liquor license if you want to drink from the Lodge Bar. Jean le Roux 0822963135  Jean has a KTM1190 amongst other bikes

Latest posts