The king of the Dakar - now with quiz questions for you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lecap

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
So who do you think are the true kings of the Dakar? KTM? No. BMW? Also wrong.

Here's the stats:
(This was originally a reply to a thread which was deported to "You Ma!" I don't think this reply belongs there)

Dakar wins by bike manufacturer:

Cagiva 2 ('90 & '94)
Honda 5 ('82; '86 - '89)
BMW scores only six  :-\ ('81; '83 - '85; '99 & 2000)
KTM not too shabby at eight consecutive victories (2001 - 2009, no event in 2008)

YAMAHA still unbeaten at 9 victories!!! :cheers:
They took first at the first ever Dakar when Cyril Neveau piloted his Yamaha XT500 to the first of two XT500 victories. (he returned to the podium three more times, in 1982 on a Honda XR550 and in '86 and '87 on an "Africa Twin" (NXR 750V)

The true and uncontested king of the Dakar still is Stephane Peterhansel who scored all his six victories on Yamahas. He was also the rider to finish first on Bloubergstrand in the 1992 Paris - Le Cap  :cheers:
The three most successful KTM riders Fabrizio Meoni, Cyril Despres & Marc Coma all score relatively meagre 2 victories.  :-[  ;D
This actually leaves them tied with the three (and only) BMW riders ever taking the Dakar laurel: Hubert Auriol, Gaston Rahier and Richard Sainct all finished in the lead twice, the later two in consecutive years and on nominally identical bikes.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even looking at the most successful Dakar bike ever Yamaha is still unbeaten, scoring six wins with the YZE850T.  :thumleft:
KTM only follows second with the LC4 660R with five wins.  :thumleft:
BMW takes third with the GS 980R and three victories.  :thumleft:
Fourth is shared between Yamaha XT500, Honda NXR 750V, NXR 800V, Cagiva Elefant, BMW F650RR and the KTM 690Rallye scoring two victories each.
The Dakar legend BMW GS800R actually only won one race, same as the race ready LC8 and Honda XR550.

Suzuki never won a Dakar  :-[ but manufactures a bike which is in its true spirit probably the closest to the bike winning the first two events.

The Dakar Rallye quiz questions are in reply 20 on page 2!!!

Attachments

• My DR2.JPG
    My DR2.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 557