The road behind the locked gate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustdevil

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I did not plan much for Saturday, sleep in late, hang about the house and take the kids for a bicycle ride etc, when next my brother in law suddenly walked around in his bike jacket. Now Leon is the quiet type and he would never want to impose by asking if one would want to join him. You basically just need to invite yourself along. I decided I was not going to sit around the house while he is out exploring roads I am dying to go check out myself. We studied the map and saw a dotted secondary road going north west and ending up on some major dirt roads closer to Noupoort. It was about 12 by the time we were on the bikes leaving the town(Middelburg EC) behind in a pile of dust. I was exited to be on the bike again but the excitement does not last as only about 5 km out of town we arrived at a locked gate. It is apparent that hardly anyone is using this road much.

We had a good look at the map again and I decided that this locked gate is braking the law so I was going to open the gate even if I have to cut the fence. It turned out that we could easily get the locked chain over the post with no real damage caused.

Now as far as locked gates is concerned, my folks stay about 70 km on the other side of Middelburg on a similar secondary road and we had from time to time major stock thefts and other problems with drunken elements moving right past our house. Now even though we were about the only people using this road and the council never did any maintenance on the road but because it would appear on some maps we were not allowed to lock the gates preventing passage to anyone.
I new I was perfectly in my right to open this gate as it is not on a private road. Oh boy and were we glad we did. The next 25 odd km turned out to be DS heaven and the old R80G/S of Leon was having such n good time on this stretch of road that have been neglected to rot to the point where it is still perfectly manageable but with a element of surprise around every corner.

IMG_3124RR.jpg

Entering DS heaven

IMG_3120RR.jpg

IMG_3127RR.jpg

IMG_3138RR.jpg

IMG_3161RR.jpg

IMG_3168RR.jpg

IMG_3169RR.jpg

IMG_3172RR.jpg

IMG_3173RR.jpg

IMG_3152RR.jpg

IMG_3153RR.jpg

IMG_3131RR.jpg

IMG_3189RR.jpg

IMG_3187RR.jpg

IMG_3184RR.jpg

IMG_3149RR.jpg

Unfortunately the fun always gets to an end and before we knew it we were back on some faster open dirt roads. Beautiful Karoo scenery still abound.
We pulled into Noupoort for something to bite.
What a strange place :eek: goats in the streets, churches lined up in rows and eligible young men everywhere. One could be mistaken to think this place is the YMCA headquarters.
IMG_3198RR.jpg

IMG_3199full.jpg

This old railway building serves as the spot where they prepare you the best "skoensool" steak in the in the entire country. You need to be patient though as it takes a loooooong time to get it to be real tough and dry, just the way I like it :p

Now for a quick run home, the route go's east out of town past Hollbrook farm and turns right to the Brulberg private reserve and enters the N10 just north of Middelburg. Total distance for the day, 175 km with not more than 10 km of tar.

IMG_3203RR.jpg

Brulberg Game ranch with lodge on the hill putting the size of those rock-piles into perspective.

IMG_3207RR.jpg

IMG_3213full.jpg

IMG_3216full.jpg

Some navigation needed.

IMG_3218full.jpg

:thumleft: :thumleft:

hey DD,

where is the red and white airhead?

madmike999 said:
:thumleft: :thumleft:

hey DD,

where is the red and white airhead?

The fairing is practically destroyed and I am in the process of fitting the original BMW cockpit fairing while waiting for the parts from HPN.

Gat Slag said:
10 uit 10!!!  :thumleft:

Goeie fotograaf...  ;)

+100

Excellent roads, and excellent pics!    :thumleft: 
Well done for opening that gate!

If some farmer would have seen you they would probably have been "die moer in"?
How would you deal with situations like that, it being a public road?  ???

Nou sien ek sommer nog meer uit na my jag trippie wat more begin! :3some: :thumleft:

So many road, so little time!

Thanks for sharing - it looks like you had a nice ride!

SuperDave said:
Well done for opening that gate!

If some farmer would have seen you they would probably have been "die moer in"?
How would you deal with situations like that, it being a public road?   ???

If the officials know about the locked gate they might make things difficult for the farmer so I believe the best approach is to tell the farmer that you know his locking the gate is not according to regulations but that you will keep quite if he allows you to go through.

There is just something about old Gs,s that just looks so cool. Great ride :thumleft: