The WR450 Thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevgh0

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
As most of you know i use my WR for almost everything. This enduro bike that was made to win races now does everything that can and should be expected of anybike.

I use it for dual sport rides
I use it on the MX track
I use it as a play toy
I use it as a commuter when the need arises to avoid traffic.

Starting with a stock bike 1 and 4 above is not the best idea. Dual sport as a whole is fun, but its only fun if your having fun and not complaining about a hard seat, low tank range and moerse vibrations.

There is a cure.

Im going to see how dual sport friendly I can make the bike. In stock form the gearing is too short, doing 100kph can get painfull after a while.

This is what ive done so far.

Added a right hand side mirror. - Nice now i can see some traffic in the vibrations
Changed the countershaft sprocket to one tooth bigger (from 14-15). - Makes a huge difference - still wheelies in 3rd off the throttle but now does 150kph without blinking.
Added aftermarket rear footpegs- Now Kirsten can come with to the shop - bar - beach - really anywhere in about a 20km radius.

Next for the bike

Planned at 2500km
Check the valve clearances (allthough all yamaha seem to stay in spec for a very long time)
Remove the throttle stop (only opens 1/2 way)
Rejet and remove the AIS (emmission control)
Cut the grey wire (Advanced ignition)
YZ header pipe
Leo Vince / Yoshi - depending on the budget.

Optional 46/48 rearsprocket to get me up to speed. (yes more speed)

The future looks good..

but the 2500 mark is only 300km away...  :ricky:

Latest posts