Tiger is in for surgery, and my courtesy bike is...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killboy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
The Tiger is in for some Gastric surgery and its 1 year/6000 mile service. It turns a year old in two weeks. My they grow up fast.  :cry:

Whats that saying: never ride/drive your dream bike? I've thought the bonnie to be a near perfect not so serious machine. If idea of riding didnt include 2000 mile trips, then this is the bike I would have gotten. All the charisma and charm of a classic beauty, something you can don a nice leather jacket and pop down to the Westbourne pub and enjoy the ride.

Well, they handed me the keys to their loaner - Black Bonneville SE with 437 miles on the clock. I work about 40 miles from the dealership, and what a route to ride. From Vauxhall across to Westminster Bridge, over and right at Big Ben, and then along Victoria Embankment into the City, then through and past Canary Wharf, and into Blackwall Tunnel spitting you out on the A2 towards Kent.

Its fuel injected, and has a 3 phase choke! Start it up with the choke out, idles a little higher, and when it settles in, you click it one setting lower, and then off. Already I'm liking this. Pulling out, woah, the Clutch takes/releases late. Then its also low, so I'm not used to it. Also, it really dips quickly into corners, I nearly binned it right out the dealership going into the Vauxhall round-a-bout section.

So the first mile or so was a bit sketchy, and to be honest I wasn't really enjoying it. However, just as I went over Westminster Bridge something clicked, and I started to fall in love with it. Its fantastically torquey, and pulls from low in any gear. The sound is also soothing and addictive, off throttle a little burble, mid throttle like a cats purr, and open throttle a deep unstrained twin sound. Once you used to the seating position it becomes a blast. Riding a Bonnie past Big Ben, the London eye, and into the city just feels right, sadly I had my touring jacket on, it really called for my Leather one.

Eventually hitting the highway, I was surprised at how good it was at speed. 60mph is outstanding 70mph good, and even to some degree 80mph is extremely comfortable. Also, while I was getting "pushed" by wind more so than on my Tiger, there was less wind buffeting (The tigers are known for this with taller riders). I was getting a little worried this would be more comfortable long distance cruiser than my tiger, until about 10 minutes later. After a while 80mph the slight vibration in the pegs thats not really noticeable until some time later becomes irritating, and your neck does take a little strain from the wind force on your helmet. Unless you tilt your head down, it also feels like its pulling your helmet off at speed. Yup, the Tiger is waaaay better. Shew.

I'm in love though. The more I ride it, the more I love it. Coming into Chatham, there is a lovely set of switch backs, and oh my does it like to get thrown around. You chuck the bike around, but don't bother leaning, sort of like farm offroaders. Also, one thing you notice is how much travel the throttle has. You can give a good twist, but makes it extremely easy to balance. I can completely see why this classic will never disappear. Its got more soul than anything I've ever ridden before. Its completely analogue vs all the digital shit.

I must have one!
bonnie1.jpg

bonnie2.jpg

bonnie3.jpg

bonnie4.jpg