Total weight of gear while touring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distronium

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi

Slowly putting together my items for touring and camping. Done many bike tours but always stayed in B&Bs. Most of my dirt riding has always been one day trips and weekend  runs. Now wanting to do more long distance dirt touring through Karoo and Namibia etc.

So I want to keep weight down on the ktm but I have added up the weight and it all comes to around 45 kgs. That's everything including the weight of the soft luggage itself.

Now about 16kgs will be on the pillion seat but the rest 29 kgs will be low down and in front of the rear axle. The front of the saddle bags actually rest on the rear foot pegs. So they are nice and low down.

This is for 7 - 14+ days.

Breakdown

Tent 3kgs
Sleeping bag and mattress 2kgs
First aid kit 1kg
Water 8 liters so around 8 kgs - don't want to skimp on water. Out in the middle of nowhere.....
Food 5kgs (and that's enough for 4days)
Cooking utensils including stove 1 kg
Clothes 6kgs
Extra fuel plus the fuel bag weight 7.5kgs
The soft luggage itself 7kgs
Tools 2.5kgs

43 kgs  total and I will add another 2kg on to build in a little fat.

Hence 45kgs.

I think some of it I am overdoing but I will be on my own so want the extra water, fuel and food even though I might only need 1 or 2 days worth even when camping out in the middle of nowhere.

What weight do you guys carry around?

Edit: copy and paste went awry  ???  Now post looks better!!