Touching the clouds!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malibu

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
So, they have failed!  Miserably.  Dark Horse and Mark, as the designated writers of this thread, well, it just never happened.  So I guess I’ll have to suck it up and put fingers to keyboard and try and find the words to impress on you the utter awesomeness of the ride we did.
It all started with Just-Blip-It hearing we were to spend the holidays down in Mpumalanga, and he quietly mentioned that he could take us on a ride.  
So, after working our rear ends off at Mom’s house (we built cupboards, put doors up, put awnings up, etc)  we took off just after 5.30am to get to WhiteRiver for the 6.30 departure time.  What a surprise, ONLY KTM’s arrived for the ride.  An orange fiesta on a grey day.  I was on the only bike which was not a 990 or 950.  The little girl rider!

JustBlipItRide003.jpg

The Plan.  Breakfast in Sabie, lunch in Pilgrims Rest… all the dirt we can find.

We shot off and hit the forestry roads.  The roads were fantastic, the recent rains laying the dust down, and we skinted along in pure DS heaven with scenery that was just too beautiful.  Waterfalls, deep valleys, exquisite horizons…

The Group
JustBlipItRide004.jpg

Malibu and Dark Horse.
JustBlipItRide007.jpg

JustBlipItRide009.jpg

Malibu
JustBlipItRide013.jpg

Dark Horse
JustBlipItRide011.jpg

Sabie was quickly reached, and we met up with Chopper Pilots family who joined us for the meals.  A jovial meal was devoured, and off we went again.  

JustBlipItRide020.jpg

JustBlipItRide015.jpg

I have to say, these guys can ride.  JBI and his mates are no slouches on their big machines, Mark was in his element.  He blasted off with the fast guys, while Dark Horse, Chopper Pilot and I tootled along behind.  I’d like to say it was only because I was appreciating the scenery, but the truth is that some areas were pretty challenging.  Guess that is what happens when you ride with enduro boys!

JustBlipItRide024.jpg

JustBlipItRide026.jpg

The two Mark’s bikes, Just blip It and Mark Hardy
JustBlipItRide033.jpg

Chillin…
JustBlipItRide027.jpg

We eventually reached such heights that we rode in a perpetual mist blanket, now and then breaking out the cloud to such incredible views, I was left breathless.  

Sooo pretty!
JustBlipItRide040.jpg

The Group
JustBlipItRide035.jpg

The road up… and Malibu’s ride, ain’t she pretty!
JustBlipItRide036.jpg

And Dark horses toy!
JustBlipItRide037.jpg

And Marks…
JustBlipItRide038.jpg

Some more pretty.
JustBlipItRide039.jpg

The group!
JustBlipItRide042.jpg

Heaven…
JustBlipItRide045.jpg

The trail ran through the Hartebees Vlaktes, where zebra, blesbok and a variety of other game dotted the mountain sides and it was tremendous seeing them kicking up a ruck on the slopes.  
The jeep track in places was so carved from the rains, that the route ran along the mountain edges, in places displaying only vast drops and deep valleys.  
There was little to no other human contact up there, in the heights.  A couple of hikers, sitting, soothing their feet was a chance sighting,  and we could have been lost in time if not for their intrusion on the road.  
The day proceeded from one torturous descent, to another vista, to another exquisite painting, to another track, up to 7000 ft, down, and so we proceeded.  

And we start descending…  JBI, Denzel and DH…
JustBlipItRide055.jpg

Mal and CP
JustBlipItRide058.jpg

One of the last of the few stops we had…
JustBlipItRide062.jpg

JustBlipItRide065.jpg

JustBlipItRide067.jpg

JustBlipItRide071.jpg

JustBlipItRide074.jpg

The rain, that had been storing itself up for a vicious onslaught, eventually determined that we had earned the right to it’s fury.  We were assaulted with a vision numbing downpour that quickly rendered the road to quagmire.  We all hightailed our way down the last part of the slopes, Pilgrims Rest, out of view but close.  The larger bikes battled with the moving, slick surface, at least my little baby skipped down happily.  
Lunch was terrific, the entire area was covered with all our wet gear, and as it was already almost 3pm, we all decided to find our way home via tar.  

JustBlipItRide076.jpg

Bunch of very happy bikes!
JustBlipItRide081.jpg

I need to say a HUGE thank you to JBI and his friends, for taking the time to show us some of their turf.  It’s some of the best riding I have done in a long time.  Hope to ride with you guys again soon!

Stitched_001.jpg

Appreciate the RR Mal! :thumleft:

It was an awesome ride! :biggrin: Thanks JBI for taking us! :thumleft:

Hope to see you and Mark in our area soon!

Thanks JustBlipIt for a super ride, will go down as one of my favourite for 2011. And to every one who rode that day...you guys made the day that much more fun.

Malibu thanks for doing the RR... :thumleft:

Ian in Great Brak River said:
Ooo Eh Eh!! ... is it even legal to have so many Katooms in one spot ...?   ;D

Stunning pics, nice rr, and THANK YOU for not asking me to be on standby with a trailer for the broken down KTM's. I don't own a trailer big enough for all those scooters.

Sharingroads said:
Ian in Great Brak River said:
Ooo Eh Eh!! ... is it even legal to have so many Katooms in one spot ...?   ;D

Stunning pics, nice rr, and THANK YOU for not asking me to be on standby with a trailer for the broken down KTM's. I don't own a trailer big enough for all those scooters.

:imaposer:

This is KTM territory... we only brake down on gravel highways... 'cos we are bored!  :p

It is RR's like this that makes us want to buy more bikes. Stunning.

Let me go and cry somewhere in a corner.

Bliksem.....al daai Katoom's saam maak sommer my broek nat.  :drif:

En die Oos Transvaal is bevange.....great pics.....en thanks for sharing!  :thumleft:

I am envious, my "orange" bike could have fitted in, hmmm

Thanxs for sharing and nice pictures...

Thanks Malibu for doing the RR - you did it more justice than I could dream of.
Thanks Just Blip It for arranging such an awesome ride - it was certainly one of the better rides of 2011.
Thanks to all other riders on the trip that made it so much fun.

No trailers required as we were all on "Orange's" not "Lemon's"..

Another group photo on the top of the world.

Attachments

• IMG_0951_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0951_1_1.JPG
    199.9 KB
Sharingroads said:

I know how you feel...

We can drown our sorrows tomorrow at Barca...

W1P30UT said:
Sharingroads said:

I know how you feel...

We can drown our sorrows tomorrow at Barca...

Maybe you can. I am working the salt mine. Will only see Barca in Feb again.

Fok...........sopas weer gekyk na die.....daai peekchas daarbo......die groen gras en die wolkies hier en daar....nou verstaan ek eintlik mooi die naam van jou RR!!

RESPECT!!! Wens ek was daar!  :drif:

It was a stunning ride...When we got right up to the top of the one hill...the clouds opened up for about 5 mins. The photos don't do justice to the views we saw.

I will definitely do that ride again.

Awesome riding & pics....thanks for sharing....mmm one day when I am big...I will ride like that.... :mwink:

Malibu thanks for the RR, it was really a great day and awesome to finally ride with you folk! Thanks to Malibu, Mark Hardy, Dark Horse, Dexter007, Charl and Chopperpilot for a truly great ride and a pleasure to share this special place with you guys!! :thumleft: