Tour of Southern Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 1050 Tiger
Hi, I'm based in the UK and I've been pointed toward your forum for advice on a tour I'm planning for 2015, long story made short... me & some mates did west coast USA as "the trip of a lifetime" trouble is it was good enough to think we needed to do another, so the thrift club has been running for the last five years to raise the funds. Having debated several times over a few pints and studying maps the guys have decided on a return to the USA (mid-east) !

Trouble is it feels like I've already seen the best bits in the USA - Hwy 101, San Francisco, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite etc., (Washington, New York Boston, Chicago... just doesn't hit the spot somehow) I always said this trip should be a real adventure so much as I'll miss them I'll probably be going it alone and I'm considering something along the lines of Cape Town to Victoria Falls, possibly Johannesburg - Open to suggestion!

As it looks like I'll be a solo traveller I'm thinking an organised tour would be best, I've been researching and there seem to be a few options for a 14 - 21 day tour, I'd like to deal with someone local rather than an agent based in Europe or USA and a swish website isn't always a good guide!

It would be good to get some insider knowledge, I'm not looking to 4* hotels and would like to experience a little more than just the usual tourist traps (although they have to be done).

Any thoughts will be gratefully received.

Rob