Touring NZ - Coromandel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I'm riding around the Coromandel Peninsula this week, which is supposed to be some of the best biking roads in NZ. Must say it is not bad, lotsa nice twisties and hills. Really had fun on the road here and managed to corner the Trailwing to the max on the old Bmer. I must say that the trailwing really is a nice tire with loads of grip.
SANY0224.JPG

Went to explore some of the forestry roads around Onemana thats on the east coast of the Coromandel. Lotsa old gold mining towns out this side. here some pics,
SANY0225.JPG

SANY0229.JPG

SANY0233.JPG

SANY0235.JPG

SANY0236.JPG

SANY0238.JPG

SANY0239.JPG

SANY0242.JPG

SANY0244.JPG

SANY0248.JPG

SANY0251.JPG

SANY0253.JPG

SANY0256.JPG

Currently staying in Whangamata. There are some hot water beaches nearby that I might go and check out today (apparently so hot with low tide that you cant go in).

another one of those timeless bikes!!!!!

looks like a nice ride more asb!

Are you staying perm or just temp bru?

Must say that if I ever leave SA NZ will definitely be my next port-o-call.  I want to gooi in a proper adv trip when I attend the Rugby WC next year - any ideas about bike hiring co's?  We can surely get some track logs from you :mwink:

Please let me know

HSK said:
Are you staying perm or just temp bru?
Back in June

HSK said:
any ideas about bike hiring co's?  We can surely get some track logs from you :mwink:
I'm using this atlas, a must have for doing NZ
mtc-320-640-240-480.jpg

Bike rentals are not worth it. you are better off buying a bike and selling it again when you leave. For rentals you are looking at $100+ per day. You can pick a DR650 up for about NZ$5500. BMW Auckland currently has a 1991 GS PD for $6000 and they will take it off your hands again when you are done.

Newguy said:
HSK said:
any ideas about bike hiring co's?  We can surely get some track logs from you :mwink:
I'm using this atlas, a must have for doing NZ
mtc-320-640-240-480.jpg

Bike rentals are not worth it. you are better off buying a bike and selling it again when you leave. For rentals you are looking at $100+ per day. You can pick a DR650 up for about NZ$5500. BMW Auckland currently has a 1991 GS PD for $6000 and they will take it off your hands again when you are done.

Will definitely look at the buying option.  If you have to take a guess, how will a relaxed trip from south to north (or reverse) trip take?  I assume most bike shops will be in Auckland and surrounds?

HSK said:
Will definitely look at the buying option.  If you have to take a guess, how will a relaxed trip from south to north (or reverse) trip take?  I assume most bike shops will be in Auckland and surrounds?

Best place to buy a bike is https://www.trademe.co.nz/

That book I posted has some suggested routes to take
10 day introductory tour or
5 day north island and
10 day south island
suggested routes about 400km per day.

15 days should probably do it then.

Jeez but the prices look steep :eek7:

Can you enlighten me on the current exchange rate?

Newguy said:
HSK said:
Jeez but the prices look steep :eek7:

Can you enlighten me on the current exchange rate?

1 NZ$ = +-R5.50

Had 7 -8 in mind when I did the calculations so pretty relieved.  Quite a number of options there :thumleft:

30K for XR650 not too bad - guess one can sell it again at a pretty good price.  Luckily I have lots of family who can do it afterwards.

Looking at your RR really gets the juices flowing for the Silver Fern country :drif:

Lekka trippie. I worked in Tauranga, so would bypass that area when we went to the visit friends in Auckland once a month or so. Bike looks hungry for more.  :thumleft:

Made a little sprint this morning and for some reason I have this stoopid grin on my face. The roads were unbelievable  :thumleft:
Went on some farm roads, did some tar and a little hill climb or 2.

Thought it looks kinda funny when cows run around on hills. (looks outa place)
SANY0225.JPG

SANY0226.JPG

The Wentworth River
SANY0233.JPG

SANY0234.JPG

Little beasty in the bush
SANY0237.JPG

Beaches here are pretty nice. Always an island or something interesting. This is Whiritoa
SANY0239.JPG

Just look at these roads  :mwink: the old BM really carved through these corners  :D
SANY0240.JPG

SANY0241.JPG

SANY0242.JPG

hehe, the stoners must be wondering around this guys property
SANY0244.JPG

Stopped at Waihi to get some culture and do the tourist thing. Waihi is an old gold mining town. This is an old pump house where they used to refill the loco's etc.
SANY0246.JPG

SANY0247.JPG

SANY0250.JPG

more my kinda culture, a Speights
SANY0253.JPG

SANY0255.JPG

I did enjoy riding around The Coromandel but wait till you get to the South Island. The West Coast is amazing. From Westport right down to Haast is beautiful. From there to Queenstown is great, you will use all the tyre around this area cos of the great sweeping corners. Enjoy Gods Own.

Beautiful country.  Are you still searching for gravel roads or are they basically limited to private property??