Transkei trip planning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hello Wilddogs

A friend and myself are planning to take our bikes up from Cape Town to Durban late November and thought we'd do some exploring of the Wild Coast/Transkei on the way up.

The plan thus far is to rush to Kei Mouth and from there to try to stick to backroads and do some proper exploring up to Port St Johns. Now.......this is where the wise forum members that have done a trip like this can please give some insight.

We'll obviously be on a relatively tight time schedule, say 4-5days, to get back to tar and push on to Durban. What sort of route should we look at? Fuel availability? Will we be able cross rivers and that sort of thing that time of year?

I am aware of the so-called 'Eco- route' that is often traveled by 4x4's which is pretty much just a combination of random stretches of tracks hugging the coast....and I am also aware that these tracks can become quite impassable when it rains. Now, adventurous as I am, we wont have a support crew and it'll be the two of us so I dont want to end up sitting out there with a ruined bike or a serious injury because of a fall on horrible roads.

Lastly, can anybody enlighten me about these permits I heard of that are required to use the 'unofficial' roads along the Wild Coast? apparently you are liable to be fined if you dont get the (free) permits??

Thanx!!!!!!!!!! Any information would be great, as we want to start making some plans
Willem :ricky: