Travelling to Malawi - HELP needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bram

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Beta (all models)
Hi guys,

I want to travel to Malawi to go and visit my brother who lives on the Likoma Island on the Malawi Lake. This for me is a perfect excuse to travel on my bike all the way there but I have a few worries about the route I want to travel. I will have coolbreeze joining me on this trip (hopefully)

This will be to do the round tour. I need to get to Nkhata Bay at the West side of the lake where I will take both me and the bike on the Ilala ferry to the Likoma island.
Now there are two routes that i can follow to get to Nkhata bay,

Route 1 will be to go through Zimbabwe then cut through the west part of Mozam, the Tete area, and then back into Malawi.
Route 2 will be similar but instead of going through Mozam I will go around through Zambia adding about 300 km to the trip.

Now once I get to the Likoma Island I can then take the ferry to the east bank of the lake into Mozam.
This will be the most west-north point of Mozam and from there I will travel all the way down through the Kosi bay border back into Malawi.

My worries are hearing stories about unrest in Mozam, and not knowing the country that well.
Will it be wiser to do Route 2 and come back on route 2, and avoid Mozambique all together.
Or do route 1 or 2 which ever fits our available time and come back through Mozam as explained above.

Anybody who has some info on where and where not to travel will be kindly appreciated.

Please see the pictures below to give you some idea of what I am talking about.
Please do note that these are just general directions and we are going to try and do as much dirt road as possible.

Regards
Bram

Attachments

• Route 1.JPG
    Route 1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Route 2.JPG
    Route 2.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Way Back through Mozam.JPG
    Way Back through Mozam.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 159