Trivial perScoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Had a bachelors this weekend close to Montague and decided to make a trip out of it.
I really enjoy riding solo as i dont have to constantly look around me to see if others are ok (not that I have to keep an eye on everyone, but I do spend alot of time checking my mirrors to see if people are there)
Planned a route on T4A and tried to stick to gravel most of the way on me new GPS. Only to be dissapointed as most of the "Gravel" marked roads on T4A appears to have been tarred for years.
Didnt really take pics on the way there. but here goes

Left the afternoon at about 13:00, because I fitted some new tyres first. A set of Maxxis 6006, my first time riding with them. My track record with tyres is not so good so I had been running them at 2.2 back and 1.8 front. I never change pressure (to lazy to pump) and used to run my D606 at 1.5 front and rear. more on the tyres later

1. On the way there I noticed these humongous Kudu. Seeing them jump over the bushes and rocket away from the roaring Suzuki is quite spiritual :briggin:

2. Accomodation for the night- awesome, close to the whole in the wall between Ashton and Montague.

3. Very tall trees in the braai area

4. da view

5. da tree

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    117 KB
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    93.3 KB
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    86.7 KB
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    98.2 KB
  • 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    72.3 KB
1 + 2. Waterfall behind the tree with the stream running through the patio. very cool
Had the bachelor the evening (not mine). Not to hectic but enough to give me a lekker hangover the next day.

Drove to the Karoo saloon to nurse my hangover with a Jack Black and a Castle.

3 + 4. Outside there was this CBX1000. Always heard the handling was crap and now know why. Thats 420kg dry weight!!! But screw the handling, this one was as original as they come, 17000km on the dot original km. 1978 model

5. Followed the GPS which got me onto the road to Touws River

Attachments

• 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    58.5 KB
  • 07.JPG
    07.JPG
    94.6 KB
  • 08.JPG
    08.JPG
    75.8 KB
  • 09.JPG
    09.JPG
    79.2 KB
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    79.3 KB
1. nice road heading to Touws Rivier.
only to find
2. A dead end :(
3. mmm little trail to the right, see where it goes??
4 + 5. lekker trails through da bushes and stuff.
Drove back to the Karoo saloon to refill.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    108.1 KB
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    112.7 KB
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    95.1 KB
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    94 KB
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    76.6 KB
1. Still between Montague and Touws Rivier somewhere

2 + 3. Outside McGreggor

4. The track.

Hit 3 long dead ends and had to track back. First was at the Sabona Private Game Reserve.
2nd was Boesmankloof hiking trail
3rd was at the Zevenfontein eco trail

Maxxis 6006 - mmm what to say. I would be to scared to run these in the winter. I am somewhat unsure of the tar grip and find that they are super slippery on the painted lines. Otherwise running them at 2.2 rear and 1.8 front they should give me good mileage. Offroad they are very capable, even running them hard like that. Only had them in the dry and on hard gravel/rocky stuff, will still need to test on mud and sand.
Also, these are very narrow tyres and I would say a 130 6006 would be as wide as a 120 D606.
Final judgement, not yet, altough the 6006 was R200 cheaper than the D606. Only R370 for the Maxxis, Bargain!

trip there was 210km
trip back 485km
needless to say the 485km trip on Sunday was quite tiring.
But I saw some really nice places and wish it wasnt so much effort to take the camera out so I could share more of it wiff you guys.
Newguy out...

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    63.9 KB
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    65.1 KB
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    80.9 KB
  • tripmap.JPG
    tripmap.JPG
    60.7 KB
Jou baasterd!!

Het jy meer details oor daai plekkie naby hole in the wall?

Het dit al gesien, maar nooit verder gesnuffel nie...

Like jou no plaat...  ::)

En ek vind die 6006's fine vir grip, maybe is joune te hard? Bygesê dat ek nog nie 'n front gebruik het nie...

For Sharkie. Strykhoogte pass marked. Peaks at about 320m.
Difficulty: Easy
Road: Good Gravel

Attachments

• MapProfile.JPG
    MapProfile.JPG
    35 KB
Bus said:
Het jy meer details oor daai plekkie naby hole in the wall?

Nie op die stadium, maar sal kry. So R1800 vir 2 aande en slaap so 20 mense  :mwink:

Like jou no plaat...  ::)

:dousing: thats the legal size dude  :deal:

very lekker

just one thing , the cbx was never anywhere close to 420 kg's ,prolly closer to 250 dry...

IceCreamMan said:
very lekker

just one thing , the cbx was never anywhere close to 420 kg's ,prolly closer to 250 dry...

The trip looks lekker

the 420kg is GVM ...bike, liquids, riders, luggage, trailer, etc. ...the mass you are not allowed to exceed.

Nice way to get home with a hangover. I think I need to go explore that area a bit.