Tweede Nuwejaar wayback to the States

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobCrouch

Not a bachelor.
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
The plan was to go from Hoggies to Elliot then slab it back to Bloem... but as they say, the best laid plans of mice and men... ::)
First of all we trailered Shrek behind Fiona, what fun seeing a KLR in your rear view mirror all the way...  :mwink:
We got to Hoggies safely too!

Attachments

• Photo0894 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0894 (Medium).jpg
    61.8 KB
  • Photo0895 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0895 (Medium).jpg
    48.6 KB
So on the "Tweede Nuwejaar" I set off back home...
Donning the last gear...
First stop was at the dam on the road from Hoggies to Keiskamahoek... a very scenic ride with
waterfalls and cows...

Attachments

• 100_9247 (Medium).JPG
    100_9247 (Medium).JPG
    85.5 KB
  • 100_9248 (Medium).JPG
    100_9248 (Medium).JPG
    101.8 KB
  • 100_9250 (Medium).JPG
    100_9250 (Medium).JPG
    97.2 KB
  • 100_9251 (Medium).JPG
    100_9251 (Medium).JPG
    95.4 KB
and more cows and corners...
then a overflowing Sandile dam...
Found this interesting crop circles in the grass too. I wonder what interstellar craft caused that pattern? :mwink:

From here I did not take any further pictures, after filling up in Stutterheim (Sorry Michnus... next time!) I headed off to Tsomo...
after misreading the GPS (Should have made a strip map!) after the farm Heckel (On the Google map of the area) I ended up circling round Quacu Nature Reserve and ended up back at the N6 south of Cathcart. From here I calculated I had lost at least an hour or more if I retraced so decided to leave the intrepid cross Transkei route for another day/s when there was no pressure to get anywhere soon. I vill be Bak! :deal:
The scenery was stunning and the roads not as bad as expected... although one does not know what it would be like further into the hinterland... Google maps shows tracks... >:D :mwink:
Onward to the Free State via N6 it was...

Attachments

• 100_9252 (Medium).JPG
    100_9252 (Medium).JPG
    75.5 KB
  • 100_9253 (Medium).JPG
    100_9253 (Medium).JPG
    61.6 KB
  • 100_9255 (Medium).JPG
    100_9255 (Medium).JPG
    108.2 KB
Little did I know what lay ahead... In Aliwal I gave the q's at the filling stations one look then decided to fill up at Rouxville... big mistake! Well next stop in Smithfield should be better... well I hoped as that was as far as my tank would go in any case...
Should have filled up in Aliwal! :deal: :imaposer:
This is when I was close to the pump!

From there I got to stop'ngo #1 and veered off on dirt... should have kept on the dirt but thought I would make better time rejoining the N6 at Reddersburg... eventually got home at just after 5 pm. 700km all in all, of that I reckon I had done at least 300 on dirt... at least the bike needs a wash and I had a view of parts that one does not see from the Slab. :thumleft:

Attachments

• Photo0898 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0898 (Medium).jpg
    49.9 KB
Love overflowing dams! Like the look of your KLR!  :thumleft:

Lekker trip  :thumleft:

GREAT PHOTO,S    NEVER LIKE SEEING A BIKE ON A TRAILER