Tyre "blow out" on 990

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

africana

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Any thoughts on the following incident of yesterday:
Recently bought the 990 and Hardey and I went to the demonstration of the new Africa Twin at ADA, Hartbeeshoek. On the way back about 200-300 meters from the 4 way stop at Harties opposite the Wimpy, the front tire very suddenly just went totally flat (similar to a blow-out and yet not a blow-out) causing me to swerve wildly over the road missing oncoming traffic by the proverbial hairs breadth and finally coming to rest upside down in the ditch next to the road, painfully upside down. Very scary and very painful.....

When we repaired the tire later - once again thanks for the help and work done Hardey, much appreciated ! - all we could find was a snakebite indicating either a rock or pothole being connected. It was tar road all the way and why a sudden flat instead of a gradual flat which would have warned me in time. I have had two other flats on the previous bikes and both was very slowly and gradual.

I am busy riding my 15th  bike and in all the 20-30 odd years have never encountered something like this. Thank God I missed the traffic and only bad scratches on the crash bars and a bent foot peg and a painful chest!

Oh and one other thing, of all the many bikes of various makes and models, how many stopped to help? Not one!  :(

Will heavy duty tubes and slime possible prevent something like this in the future as it had done on my past 4 bikes? Any other advice to try and prevent something like happening again? Stop riding is not an option!

Thanks.