Tyres: Dual or knobblies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboef

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
This topic has been EXTENSIVELY covered on the forum, but I need to get some more clarification.

I bought my AT fitted with Michelin T63 knobblies. I asked the dealer to fit Anakees, as I (mistakenly) thought that I could do gravel and tar equally well on them.
After I went for a ride yesterday afternoon in the Stellenbosch area, which included some dirt roads, I realised that fitting Anakees were a BIG mistake! They are brilliant on tar, but dont go off-road. Ever.
More than once yesterday my front wheel lost traction while going about 30 kph. I stopped and deflated to about 1.5 bar, and that helped a bit, but I was standing on the pegs just to keep the bike in some sort of straigtht line. There were some muddy patches, and they were the big scares.

Now, what I need to know is: Should I re-fit the T63's? I do tar/gravel about 50/50, so I cant really fit pure offroad tyres.
Maverick suggested I fit Continental HKC80's. But that costs a pretty penny, and I just splashed out R8000 on gear.
So, can I safely ride the T63's on tar in Cape Town in the winter?
I dont ride very aggressively.

O yes: Any of you guys going on the West Coast trip to Strandfontein this weekend with Mouton van Zyl's group?