Unable to upload maps to 276C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
I recently bought a second-hand 276C. Software version 5.2 running on the GPS. Came with a 128 MB Garmin data card, already in the GPS.

Running Mapsource v6.15.4 on Vista Home Premium. Following map products installed, unlocked and available:
South Africa Streetmap V4
South Africa City Select v5
World Map

I received the CD and unlocking keys for the above mapsets with the unit.

I can receive tracks, waypoints, and routes from the unit, with this error that comes up:

Some maps could not be opened because the following Mapsource Products are not installed:
T4A Maps Wild Coast
South Africa - Topo & Rec v1.00
Southern Africa Streetmaps v1.5

This obviously means I cannot access these map details as I do not have the required licence/base data on my PC.

When I try to upload/send a map to the GPS, it gives me the following error:
There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.

I have tried:
* Have GPS on and connected to the computer before starting Mapsource,
* Connect the GPS to the computer and switch it on after starting Mapsource.
* Tried doing the above in Simulator mode, and in normal mode

I'm guessing there might be a problem with the data card. Does anybody have advice how I can format the card back to empty? Is there a write-protect tab on the memory card I don't know about?

Is there some way to reset the whole unit to become blank?

What are the dangers of doing a factory reset (pressing Quit whilst powering up)?

Finally, if all else fails - where can I get a new(ish) 128, 256 or 512 MB card for the GPS (without needing a tub of KY)?

And, unrelated to the above (I think):
How can I change the startup splash screen (currently has custom graphic and writing). Not referring to the text you can enter into the GPS to display at startup, but to the background that appears behind the user text.

Latest posts