V-Max

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsa

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 390 Adventure
Hi
Yesterday I tried to fire up the V-max after it has been standing for quite some time. The battery was on a maintainance charger and is in good shape (or so I think).
The problem is that the motor is turning over very very slowly. So I hooked up a second new battery but this did not even make much difference. She eventually fired up once with luck but with my lack of attention died again and then could not get her to fire up again due to the starter not being able to turn the motor over. Took the spark plugs out sprayed some WD 40 and spinned the motor without the plugs. It seems that the motor turned over ok, not too fast but it is at least turning.

I think the battery is fine, so my question is can it be the starter motor? What goes wrong with starters when standing? Could it be the starter clutch not releasing? If so would I have been able to turn it without the plugs? She is pretty old (an 89 model) never had any issues with it in the 12 years of owning it. Who will be able to assist with checking it out? Sometimes the official guys are reluctant to work on the gray bikes.